Ugghh, Choke Stuck....heeeellllppp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugghh, Choke Stuck....heeeellllppp

I have an 81 GS750L left it parked for a week, i just went out to start it, tried to pull my choke knob up and it wont move!!! any suggestions? I was able to manually do the choke from the side of the carbs and even pull on the choke cable from where it is connected next to the throttle lind and it moves, but my knob just doesn't want to pull up...

A job for PB Blaster perhaps?

Comment

Ah yes, the old frozen choke... I agree, a little penetrating whatzit followed by some lube and you should be able to choke the &%@! out of it once again.

Comment

After struggling with a similar problem for about four hours, I have up and found an easily available replacement part which took a half-hour (tops) to install.

It's not worth the effort to rehabilitate it.

Comment

k, i'll try the pb, have some in the basement, just starting raining and dont have a garage. just weird, never had this happen and it only sat there for a week....wish me luck

Comment

If you lube the choke cable it won't stay out. You'll have the opposite problem you have know. Take off the rubber boot under the choke knob and try adjusting it until it functions. This is for the choke knob through the triple trees.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

well the PB worked great. i loosened up the black cover under the knob till it was free from the threads and pryed it up a bit (this was kinda hard considering the knob was all the way down, i think i might have pushed it in too hard the last time i used it) i sprayed some pb in it and wiggled it and turned it left and right and pulled up at the same time, took a few minutes but i got it loose. worked it in and out (sounded like sandpaper) and a sprayed a little more pb. If i pull the choke and and turn it to the right about an 1/8 of a turn it will stay up. i pulled it up turned it and started the bike.....WAMO...its doing its job again....thanks guys, you're the greatest as usual, just totally caught me off guard.

Comment

Working...
              X