'81 GS1000G; wheels, forks and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS1000G; wheels, forks and springs

My great love for the last 12 years are due for a minor makeover done with a lot of TLC. The biggest change will be the wheels. What I'm looking for is wider rims and lower front with the following criterias:
    Keeping the original forks (for the looks) and wheel design that suites this early eighties, with wider rims if possible. I was thinking of replacing the stock springs with shorter, progressive ones and maybe a 17" front wheel.

So, to my questions:
    Does anyone know of a rear wheel that fits this shaftie with a wider rim than stock? (model and year)
    Is there a 17" front wheel with the same looks as the possible wider rear (above)?
    alt. Is there a 17" front wheel that looks like the stock rear wheel for this model?
    Springs:
    Does anyone have any experince/suggestions to spring replacements with respect to lowering the front? What brand/model to use, how much to lower, special considerations etc.

Any other advice and input on my thoughts would be widely appreciated!

-Rune

Originally posted by rmj1234 View Post
    Does anyone know of a rear wheel that fits this shaftie with a wider rim than stock? (model and year)
    No.

Is there a 17" front wheel with the same looks as the possible wider rear (above)?
    alt. Is there a 17" front wheel that looks like the stock rear wheel for this model?
    No and no.

Does anyone have any experince/suggestions to spring replacements with respect to lowering the front? What brand/model to use, how much to lower, special considerations etc.
    Wider wheels are not available for shafties, and there isn't room for a wider tire anyway. I completely fail to understand why this is such a common question, unless too many people have been watching American Chopper.

To some, the wheels from a '79 GS850 have a slightly more elegant look than the later shaftie wheels (a slightly more open pattern, vaguely reminiscent of BMW's "snowflake" wheels). These will swap in if you like, but you may need to use tubes.

Now then.

Your mission is to optimize the handling of your GS1000. Understand that one of the big reasons for the lasting popularity of the GS series is that Suzuki paid close attention to the countless minute details of geometry and frame construction so that their bikes would handle superbly compared to the competition of the time. Your bike has the potential to handle extremely well with a few well-chosen updates.

If you haven't already, start with installing Progressive fork springs and shocks and, starting with the recommendations in the instructions, experiment with different lengths of spacers in the forks and different preload settings on the shocks until static sag is 25mm - 30mm.

You'll also want to experiment with fork oil -- 15W is a good starting point, and you can fine-tune viscosity mixing up your own custom fork oil blend containing 5% or 10% "Motor Honey".

Hagon, Works, and a few others (even Ohlins) also make suspension pieces for these bikes. All will be a vast improvement over worn-out, sagged stock pieces.

You should also install some premium sporty rubber in the correct sizes. We are lucky enough these days to be able to spoon 2007 levels of traction onto 1980s bikes. The Pirelli Sport Demon (100/90-19 front, 130/90-17 rear for G models, 130/90-16 for GL models) is the gold standard for handling -- these are superb and very sticky tires, although they don't last long (4-6,000 miles on average).

I'm currently a couple thousand miles into a set of the new Avon RoadRiders, and thus far they are the equal of the Pirellis in traction, wet traction, and handling feel.

Once your suspension is properly set up, you'll also want to install fresh brake pads and stainless brake lines -- GS brakes are surprisingly good when updated a bit.

Feeling a bit better now, isn't it? The squids are having a lot of trouble keeping up, eh? Assuming you're reasonably smooth and skilled, your GS now flicks into turns easily and precisely, and remains neutral and steerable at any lean angle.

I'm assuming you've already installed a reasonable handlebar long ago, but if not, the "Daytona" or "Euro" bend is the most common.

Once you've gotten everything else sorted, you might try experimenting with pulling the forks up in the triple clamps by 10 or 15mm. I have not found this necessary, but YMMV.

With a lot of work and measuring, you can dress up the chain drive bikes with modern wheels, tires, brakes, etc. On a shaftie, it's not possible to replace or widen the wheels, but it is possible to update the handling far beyond what you might imagine.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

These will swap in if you like, but you may need to use tubes.

Slight correction, bwringer: All big shaftie rear wheels, 16 or 17, old or new style, are tubeless. I run a 79 GS850G 17-in rear wheel on my GK, alternating service with the stock 16-incher. I don't install a tube on the old wheel, which is marked for tubeless operation.

I do use a tube on the old-style front wheel, which alternates service with the stock tubeless front wheel.

Otherwise, your advice, as usual, is right on!

Comment

Wider wheels are not available for shafties, and there isn't room for a wider tire anyway. I completely fail to understand why this is such a common question, unless too many people have been watching American Chopper.

That is so true! It's obviously a fad, fed by the Teutels' nonsense show, most probably.

GS shafty riders should learn to live with what we have and enjoy our bikes, rather than turn them into something they're not. Improvement is one thing; changing the character is quite another.

I have steel brake lines in my GK; these made an appreciable difference in braking performance.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2007, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I admit having watched American Chopper although that is not the reason for my desire for a wider tire (I do envy the guys the space, tools and equipment though...)

Yes, there is a bit vanity into it, motorcycling and these bikes are all about love and passion, right? I just think this love of mine would look a tad more beautiful with just a bit wider tires and I don't dare putting something wider than stock such narrow rims. So I'll stick to my Pirelli Sport Demon in stock size. I agree bwringer; very sticky and reliable.

Now that the rim question is burried once and for all; great advice on the springs. The forks are due for service and will use the opportunity to change the stock ones with progressive. Any recommendations with respect to the spring length I should order?

As for the rest you mentioned bwringer, front brakes serviced a couple of years ago including changing to steel braided hoses. Huge difference! Handlebar changed when I bought the bike years ago and are almost dragbars with a little pullback.

Next on my list is putting on some other rear sets a couple of inches further back, improving the ergonomics.

Comment

Working...
          X