Speedo Light Comes On When Foot Brake Pressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Light Comes On When Foot Brake Pressed

I own a GS550 1977 model. When I press the foot brake or front brake lever the speedo and tacho lights come on. Is this normal. If not can anyone give me an idea of what might be the problem. I have only had the bike a couple of months.

Regards
    Don

Your bike has some wires incorrectly hooked up. Inside the headlight shell is my guess as to where.

Comment

Either that or a short between the panel light and the brake light circuits.

Comment

OK. Thanks guys. Another thing I noticed was (and this will be for the electrical experts among you, with OHMS Law experience) this problem only exists when the headlight is unplugged from the wiring loom. When the 3 pin connector is attached to the headlight the problem goes away. Does not happen. Hope this helps.

Regards
        Don

Comment

I think the best solution would be to just ride around with your foot on the brake. Much easier!

Comment

For those of you who are interested I have finally tracked down the problem and come up with the solution to remedy it. When the previous owner had fitted a different tail light on the bike he hooked up the wiring incorrectly in the back cowling over the rear guard. He had connected up the black/white earth wire from the loom to the stop light filament wire going to the tail light and the white (live 12V) wire coming from the stop light switch was going to the earth wire that went to the tail light. So the parking light had no earth and you can work the rest out for yourselves.
            The problem has now disappeared with the correct wires now attached to each other.
            Thanks to everyone for their advice and especially to MR DUANAGE (Duane) for supplying the Honda rectifier that has solved my charging woes. He sells modified ones for Suzukis if you ever need one.
            Regards
            Don

Comment

and here I thought your bike was telling you... ffs get the hell off the brakes cant you see how slow we're going now

glad u got it sorted....:-D

Comment

General rule of thumb that makes some of us look like "experts":

If it's doing strange stuff ... it's a bad ground. :shock:

Then the hard part is finding where. Congrats on finding yours. \\/

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  General rule of thumb that makes some of us look like "experts":

If it's doing strange stuff ... it's a bad ground. :shock:

Then the hard part is finding where. Congrats on finding yours. \\/

Truer words seldom spoken. [-o<

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    FWhen the previous owner had fitted a different tail light on the bike he hooked up the wiring incorrectly in the back cowling over the rear guard.
                    Don
                    Good piece of troubleshooting Don! One of the real bugs to fixing equipment in my opinion is when that equipment is modified (like yours), and, based on your knowledge and information as to how it was originally supposed to work, the initial testing doesn't make sense - which means that at some point you have to reverse engineer the circuit/system - time consuming stuff!

Comment

In the end Steve I eliminated various sections of the wiring harness by unplugging vatious connectors and seeing if the symptoms still existed. When I unplugged the connector to the rear tail light the symptoms did disappear, so I then had localsed the problem and then it was a matter of tracing each of the three wires the the tail light and see what the issue was.

Cheers
                      Don

Comment

Working...
                      X