Spring attached headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring attached headers

I'm thinking of converting to spring retainers for the headers on my GS850 4 into 1 pipes for easy removal when changing the oil filter. The present arrangement uses standard flanges and bolts. Suspect repeated removal isn't going to be good for the head.

A couple of questions:

- can this be done with the existing headers by replacing the flanges and/or adding hardware?

- are spring retainers reliable - i.e. gastight?

Re: Spring attached headers

Originally posted by OldRider
    I'm thinking of converting to spring retainers for the headers on my GS850 4 into 1 pipes for easy removal when changing the oil filter. The present arrangement uses standard flanges and bolts. Suspect repeated removal isn't going to be good for the head.

A couple of questions:

- can this be done with the existing headers by replacing the flanges and/or adding hardware?

- are spring retainers reliable - i.e. gastight?
    I have been wondering the same thing...if anybody has some info it would be great!

Hap

Comment

I had expansion chambers on my 500 and 750 Kawasaki Triples. They were secured by double springs. They were most definitely NOT gas-tight. Granted that the chambers were designed to force sound waves back into the cylinder and thereby blew 2-stroke pre-mix all over the cylinders.

By design, I think that the pipe/flange joint is designed to be flexible so that they do not crack under severe vibration, and the pipes can be made of a lighter/thinner material.

Comment

spring headers

old rider. ihave a 78 gs1000 when i bought my hindle 4 into 1 it came with spring type, as far as i am concerned it is the only way to go. you might be able to buy the flanges seperat from hindle exaust check out dennis kirk. if that dosent work you could cut your flanges find some thin wall pipe that will slip into the header and weld tem together make them about 2 inches long, now install the flanges and the header on the bike and mark for your spring retainers. it would be nice to have your springs before you start .remember that the springs are very hard . so spring retainers should be hard as well .springs shoud be opened about .5 of an inch when installed if you have any questions send me a pm . good luck reg

Comment

Working...
        X