Making a rotor holder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a rotor holder.

Anyone made one? Any ideas or pics much appreciated.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

check you other post. I could try a picture, but it may be a day. CT
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Are you replacing a starter clutch? I tried to fab one from angle iron and bolts-it BENT! If you need to get that nut off-I used an impact wrench I bought cheap at Harbor Freight. Hope this helps. BTW Earl made some kind of glorified oil filter wrench that worked for him.:?

Comment

Sure!. :-) I bought a 2 x 4 at Lowes. Cut a 4 ft length and a 2 ft length to make the "wrench. You will also need two 12" lengths of 3/8" threaded rod, 4 washers, and 4 nuts. Lay the 4 ft piece of 2 x 4 on the floor. With the 3 1/2" wide side up, lay the 2 ft piece parallel and even with one end of the 4 ft piece.
        Leave a 2" space between the two pieces. Draw a circle the diameter of the rotor with its center in the two inch space. Cut out the circle with a jigsaw.
        Drill a 3/8" hole through the 1 1/2" thick surface of the 2 x 4 on each side of the circle you have cut out. Insert the threaded rods, place washers and
        nuts on the rod ends. You now have a 4 ft long wrench with a circular jaw that fits the rotor. Turning the nuts on the threaded rod tightens the wrench jaws. The handle is long enough to rest on the floor, so you will not need anyone to hold the wrench. Cost was less than $5.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Anyone made one? Any ideas or pics much appreciated.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you mister Earl sir!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

C'mon Earl. We need a pic! :-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I second the motion!

Comment

I'll have to wait until I can catch wifey and use her camera. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Making a rotor holder

Keith,

You've probably long since done this, but I'm trying to post a photo I promised a month and half ago. th_rotorholder.jpg
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Well that was a laughable first attempt.

Comment

We'll see if this photo is any bigger

Comment

I somehow wish I knew why without asking, but....
                        Why do we need a fixture for holding out rotors? Feel free to roast-away!

Comment

The rotor holder is to hold the stator rotor when needing to repair the starter clutch which is behind it. If you cant stop the crankshaft from moving, even an air impact wrench will not loosen the hold down nut on the crankshaft end.

Earl

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                          I somehow wish I knew why without asking, but....
                          Why do we need a fixture for holding out rotors? Feel free to roast-away!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            If you cant stop the crankshaft from moving, even an air impact wrench will not loosen the hold down nut on the crankshaft end.
                            Is it not possible to put the transmission into 5th gear and have a helper step on the rear brake?

Obviously, I have never had to to this, but that is what I would do for a first attempt. 8-[

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actually, an impact wrench took mine off very nicely, but my crankshaft is the bolt type, not the nut type so that might have made a difference.

You might have some success with the gear 'n brake method, but it's a hassle and that bolt (or nut) is really on there, think 135lb-ft plus having been there a really long time.

I think the rotor holder would be beneficial, especially a cheaply made one like was posted. The "factory recommended" tool can cost upwards of $60. Just like I used a $3 bolt to remove my rotor from the crank instead of the $30 "recommended" tool. I still haven't had a chance to install my rotor/starter clutch assembly, so I may make a rotor holder before I attempt it. I do know that trying to hold the crank steady, even with the friend helping, while trying to correctly torque the crank bolt (or nut) is a royal PITA. Just wish I had a chop saw and drill press, trying to cut and drill a large C-clamp by hand is going to be fun......

Comment

Working...
                              X