1982 GS650 Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650 Trouble

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago stating that I was having a problem with the bike stalling after a few minutes at idle. I found that I had a bad R/R connection and the bike was charging at around 13.4V. However since then I have not been able to get the bike to idle at all:

I did a complete carb rebuild, and when I put them back on the bike it idled great at startup with the choke on and then after a few minutes it idled great with no choke. Since I fixed the connection problems it has all been downhill. Now the bike starts with full choke only, and races up past 5K rpm. I can take the choke off a little and the RPMs come down but if I take the choke off any more it dies. If I try to reduce the choke so the bike idles at 2K RPM and give it any throttle the bike dies. I changed the air filter, intake boots, and O-rings. I checked the seal of the air filter in the box, and the carbs sit better in the boots on both sides now then when I first put them back on the bike. I still have the same problem...I cannot seem to figure out what's wrong at all. It races on start up, hunts for stable RPM with the choke on, and if I take it off or give the bike any throttle it stalls. The exhaust smells rich on startup, but the plugs are showing a lean condition. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears, as I have all but lost patience with this.

1982 GS650
    27K+ miles
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM. Reason: additional info

are all the pipes getting hot? It sounds like your idle circuit has some crude in it.Sounds like you will have to take the carbs back apart and clean the idle circuit out again.This happens.You also might have a stuck float. I had repaced my needle valves seat o-rings and 20 miles later cylinder #3 went cold on me.Took the bowl off and had a peice of crude stuck to the pickup tube. I just plucked it off and it has ran fine ever since.

Comment

It does sound like you still have carb problems. Have you tried to sync them?

Comment

Thanks

I have not tried to sync them yet...looks like I will take the carbs off and clean them again. I drained as much of the tank as I could of the laquer that was in there when I bought the bike and filled it with 4 gal of a mix of 89 and 93. I have started it only on the weekends, so as a friend hypothesized, the old gas could have settled at the bottom and gummed up the carbs.

Comment

Working...
        X