GS750E r/r question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E r/r question

Hi all. Great site. I recently bought a 1980 750e that (of course) doesn't charge very well. I read somewhere that some people have replaced their r/r with one off of a Honda nighthawk and other similar bikes. My question is, would this just require cutting off the plug and using your own or something more drastic. Also, I want to get rid of the big clunky airbox and go with four pod filters. Can anyone recommend this. I had a friend that had a Yamaha sj650 and he said that it would run different on different days (which makes sense) but also he couldn't ride it at all in the rain. I don' t want to ride in the rain but you never know what the weather will do.

Talk to member "duaneaage" and see his post here
    Get some K&N pods and a Dynojet stage 1 and 3 kit for your bike and we'll help you get it dialed in. Get a 4-1 Vance and Hines pipe and really unleash the beast.
    I ride in the rain with no problems. Oh yeah, it doesn't rain here.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's already has a 4-1 pipe but not sure what kind since it's painted black. Sounds real good though whatever it is. Any ideas on the r/r? Never mind on the r/r question. duh?

Comment

Find a Honda R/R model number SH232-12. The three yellow wires go to your Stator wires. Any combination is fine. The red wire goes the same place as your red wire. The green wire is the ground and ground this to the negative post of your battery. The black wire gets tied into the brake switch wire before the switch.
        Before you do any of this troubleshoot your charging system here
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A better replacement is from the late model CBR1000RR. It only has the three stator wires, one hot and one ground, no sensor wire. They are huge compared to the GS units and are only a year or two old.

Comment

Mine came off of a late '90's CBR600 and bolted right up to the factory location. It did have the sensor wire but that's no problem to hook up.

Comment

Working...
            X