Need a Petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Petcocks

Dose any one know where I may be able to order a new petcock for my 1980 1100E fuel tank?

Greg

Try www.bikebandit.com or ebay.

Comment

Greg here is the url of a place with alot better prices then bikebandit. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcock_suzuki.htm

Comment

Another option is to use a pingle fuel valve and adapter. Manually operated valve does away with the factory vacuum setup

Comment

always

always wanted to put one of those pingel valves on. Hey there good enough for Spidermans suzukis and kawasakis (NHRA Bike Dragster) so there good enough for me.

I used to live 5 minutes from Spiderman. Stopped in his shop in Newport News, VA once. Talked for about half hour. Real nice fella.

Louie

Comment

I have never herd of a pingle. What is it and is it hard to find. I have a factory petcock and my concerned is that while working on my 1980 1100E last summer I often had to remove the tank to work on it and it would constantly drain fuel until I blocked the fuel flow by eather clamping the hose or laying the tank at an angle to stop the flow. I relize that it is a gravity flow system but shouldn't I be able to turn the valve on the petcock and stop the fuel flow?

Greg :?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
              I have never herd of a pingle. What is it and is it hard to find. I have a factory petcock and my concerned is that while working on my 1980 1100E last summer I often had to remove the tank to work on it and it would constantly drain fuel until I blocked the fuel flow by eather clamping the hose or laying the tank at an angle to stop the flow. I relize that it is a gravity flow system but shouldn't I be able to turn the valve on the petcock and stop the fuel flow?

Greg :?
              Lots of us are using them. They are chromed for one thing. They move as easy as cutting soft butter.
              This link is not the only one who sells them but it is the one that some of us have found to be priced properly http://www.murdochracing.com/

The only down side of the pingle is that you must remember to shut it off and turn it on also. I often forget to turn mine on and then while warming up the bike starts to starve and i get ulcers thinkink that I have surely blown my ignitor box.
              When it is left on over night the fuel usually runs into the crank case and dilutes the oil which must be then changed imidiately.
              there are other things to consider as usual but I just cant think of any right now.

Comment

Yes you should. Open it up and see if someone has removed the spring or the diaphragm. Once its open you'll get a better idea how it works.

Another option is to convert it to manuel by filling the "prime" hole with jbweld. This is what I did and it works great.

Step 1) remove everything in the petcock and throw it out except the round plastic valve barrel.

step 2) notice the two holes in the plastic valve barrel. The smaller hole should be filled with jbweld and allowed sufficient time to dry (24 hours)

step 3) Reassemble and take care to position the barrel with the big hole under the "on" and "res" positions. Now when you turn the handle to "prime" it shuts off your fuel.

step 4) when you put on the cap where the vacuum hose used to connect, use RTV silicone instead of the fiber gasket that was on the petcock to begin with. That gasket is NOT fuel tight. Ask me how I know :roll:

step 5) plug the vacuum ports with some thing. fuel will spill out of the vacuum port on the petcock unless you plug it. Don't forget the no. 2 carb either......

step 6) install and ride and keep your 100 bucks in your pocket

If there are any questions feel free to ask.....

Comment

With all of the things that I will have to remember I will just stay with my stock petcock. Can you answer my last comments about the free flowing nature of the petcock in question?

Greg

Comment

Get a petcock rebuild kit....It comes with everything your likely to need. And is pretty cheap

Comment

Working...
                    X