fork oil? or engine oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil? or engine oil?

when it comes to fork oil. can a person use auto engine oil. as long as it is a 15 weight. so , can i use 15w30, 04 15w40 for my forks. what is the difference between fork oil and engine oil?

I am not sure of the differences, but my guess is that the fork oil does not contain a buch of detergent and heat resistant additives because your not dealing with all the combustion by-products. You can also use automatic transmission oil in your forks.

Comment

technically, you could use a straight 10 or 15w oil, but not a 10/15w-30/40/etc., reason being is auto oils have viscosity improvers in it, and would tend to 'thicken' during warmer temps and cause blown seals and a stiff ride. Auto trans fluid works just fine, is a 10w fluid, and has conditioning agents for teh rubber portion of the seals. :twisted:

Comment

Um. Isn't fork oil like hydrolic fluid?

You can use type F trani fluid. Its the same as 30 W hydrolic fluid. If you like the bike to ride the way it should though you might as well buy fork oil. You are only going to need about 300cc or less. I don't think you'll go broke over it.

Comment

Last time I changed my fork oil I used some left over Chrysler tranny fluid (type 6160 if I remember right). Results was a stiffer ride up front, but not too bad.

Comment

I prefer forks that dont compress easy. I use 30 weight non detergent motor oil and have never had a problem with it.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I used hydraulic fluid in mine. I bought a small bottle from a local store which was realitivly cheap and love the ride that I got from the forks.

Comment

Working...
              X