andrews cams fitting procedure to gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

andrews cams fitting procedure to gs1000

recently got set of andrew cams from gs1000 [high lift],but there was no spec with them,can any one help with timing degrees on each cam,and shim clearance setting.cams have slotted sprockets fitted.any setting up information would be helpful ,thanks. :?

Your cams are probably cut to 117 degree intake and 115 degree exhaust lobe centers. This is how my Mega-Cycle cams were set. I think this is also where the stock cams go. However, as pointed out by Kieth Krause and others this may not be a good setting for your cams.
    If you are going to race the bike and not drive it on the street much these settings would be fine. If your looking for good drivability, you would want to move your cams to 106 degree lobe centers. That number came from a magazine article from 1984 or so. Keith has the specifics somewhere, but it made for good overall performance.
    When my cams were set at 117/115, the bike had a big flat spot down low and was miserable to drive around town. It did pull like a freight train above 5000 rpm and would keep up with my friends 2001 YZF-R1. I have re-timed the cams to 106 degrees and the bike is 1000% better for driving around town. I'm not sure how much top end I lost but I don't think I'll miss it.

Steve

Comment

I think you're a little mixed up here, Wheely.

The lower the lobe centre, the peakier the engine will be, as a general rule. In other words, LC's around 100-105 will give better top end but make the bike less rideable round town and more prone to other problems. The power band will be shifted up the range. LC's around 105-110 are good for the street (and strip).

115/117 sounds wrong to me.

My stage 1 cams are at 110, as recommended by the manufacturer. Can't you contact the manufacturer to find out what their recommended setting is? Also their recommendation for the valve clearance will be useful.

Comment

Lobe centres - Inlet 110 degrees @ .004" c'ance
        - Exhaust 108 degrees @ .006 c'ance
        That's what I ran on my GS when I raced it.
        These were given to me by Barry Gannon (a name to remember if you're from UK!) and were recommended by Kenny Harmon - another name from the past!

Comment

The info sheet that came with my Cam Motion stage 3 cams shows specs on 15 different cam profiles for the GS1100- from .315 lift to .460. Every one of these 15 different profiles (mild street to radical race) use 110 degree lobe centers. I think all the big bore Suzuki cams run right about 110 degree centers regardless of manufacturer. .004-.006 valve lash should be correct and be sure to check valve to piston clearance as most high lift profiles will require machining of valve pockets on the pistons(mine were done .002). Ride On.

Comment

Working...
          X