Trip odometer way off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip odometer way off

First I would like to thank everyone for all the help this forum has givin me with various issues. After getting this beast on the road, I understant why there is such a big following. My 80 850 will smoke any other bike Ive had before.
    Anyways, my trip odo reads way off. Like about double what it is supposed to. The bike bike reads very low miles, the odometer could have been rolled back at some point I assume, but the title does match. Is there a fix for this, or should I just buy a new spedo?
    This matters to me because I have replaced the non-working tach with one that works, but has no fuel guage. I never had a fuel guage before, so that doent matter to me, ... until the trip doesnt work.
    Thanks for everyones help,
    Rusty

Is the speedo accurate? If it is, the trip is toast and you need a new speedo. If it's not accurate, it could be a number of things. You may be able to get away with taking it apart and cleaning it. There's some posts on how to do that, it involves cutting or prying the ring that holds the face on.

Comment

Are you sure it's not in KM?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Good point chef. I was leaning towards a non-stock tire (larger diameter than OEM), but your suggestion seems much more plausible.

Brad bt

Comment

Does your trip meter concur with your odometer changes? If so then it's ok and as pointed out you may not be used to seeing it in km. With respect to the bigger than stock tire, this will affect the above reading only if the front tire is bigger or smaller than calibration.

My trip meter started acting up this year.....took it apart and cleaned it carefully and it still usually doesn't agree with the odometer by about 5km in 200 roughly.......so it's getting worn out (like the driver). Great having the fuel gauge to doublecheck by gosh!

Comment

10%

I don't think the tire size accounts for it. Even if it were different by a couple of inches, (19 to 21, for example), it would only affect it by about 10%...which you might not even easily notice.:-|
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
            X