Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000

Hi all
    While replacing the exhaust on my GS1000 I snapped a bolt in the cyl head because the thread had been damaged. A couple of the other head threads were also a bit suspect so I think they will need to be drilled out and be repaired with inserts. It seems I'll have to take the head off to best achieve this ( the gasket's ready for replacement anyway)
    Will I need to replace the base gasket at the same time?
    Thanks

ps this happens just when the sun starts to shine in ol' Limey...Doh!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

I wholeheartedly concur with rphillips; if the base gasket isn't leaking, leave it alone. You've never seen a gasket welded to aluminum until you've tried to replace that base gasket (at least that was my experience).

Comment

I agree leave it alone, if the compression is good. Otherwise it Depends on how many miles the motor has on it. and weather you want to go ahead and put rings in it also

Comment

Thanks......
          A local bike shop said that it'd be necessary to replace the base gasket as well as the head gasket once the head was removed. S'pose they were just trying to rip me off Won't be going there anymore then!
          Any tips on removing the head? I've got a Haynes manual but I know they sometimes neglect to mention things that could go wrong...

Comment

Compression readings were between 120 and 140 when I last checked..Is that ok or is it time for new rings?

Comment

The shop is not necessarly bad. Removing the head unbolts the block also, if it'seal is disturbed you could end up with a leak, Depends on who you talk to, usually you can get away without changing it.
              Just be careful not to drop the timing chain down into the crankcase, tie a string to it. I would also sugest to check the cam timing marks BEFORE you take it appart, so that you can see how the marks are situated Otherwise it is just a matter of unbolting everything. It maybe
              hard to get the head itself off, Sometimes the head studs get gunked up and the head will not slide up. Use a piece of wood if you have to pry it up
              After it is appart clean the gasket surfaces with a spray gasket remover, be careful not to scratch the gasket surfaces

Comment

The exact same thing happened to me, get a new valve cover gasket and a head gasket. the base gasket should be fine. remember when you take the head off to mark where all your shims were. I didn't and what a pain getting them sorted later. I took mine to a machine shop and they drilled it out but if you have the tools you can save yourself a hundred bucks and do it yourself. I put a helicoil in to replace the damaged threads and replaced all bolts and lock washers with new. I also put never seize on the threads to keep that from happening again.

Comment

Check on having timeserts installed instead of helicoils. Supposed to be better??

Comment

Heads & stuff

I would pay close attention to the base gasket so that you don't break the "seal" I would suspect a bunch of prying on the head will apply some forces to the base gasket and the seal will "pop" and come back down without one noticing & then you have a leak.
                    Try to come up with a way to monitor the "seal" at the base gasket.....perhaps a drop of gel-type super glue.....all so after you do the work on the head you can look at this spot of glue to be sure the seal has not been disturbed.
                    Kinda like the wax seal put on envelopes with a stamp so one knows that no one has opened the letter.
                    Rick..........

Comment

As I said before, replace those bolts with stainless steel studs, and you will never have this problem again.

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X