High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle

I've just finished cleaning the carbs completely. I followed the guide provided here. It went well. I replaced the gaskets.

However, when I start my GS850 G '81 It is idling at near 5k. turning the throttle just goes up from there. Along with this I am having a lot of 'poping' (this is missfiring right? I don't want this do I?).

So what should I try next. Or what do I need to check to see that I did correctly that could be causing these symptoms? btw, the idle is set all the way down to it's lowest on the carbs.

Minor correction... It's idling around 3.5 - 4K. Also, not sure if this is noteworthy but I put the idle mixture screws about 2 full turns out. Not sure what these are supposed to be set at, or how much it impacts things. I didn't think they changed the idle speed much.

Comment

Sounds like you may have missrouted the throttle cable or have somehow tightened it likely at the throttle grip. Also the choke cable could be holding the choke patially open. I'd check those for sure and if you haven't recently, lube your cables as they could be binding.

Assembly of the throttle linkage could also be an issue if you had them fully apart and i'd double check that everything is seated correctly and the butterflies are fully closed at rest.

Popping is indicative of a lean condition perhaps caused by an airleak around the intake boots. It could also be a result of incorrectly set air/fuel mixture screws.

There is a lot of information on these topics so do a search and read over everything. Something will point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
      Spyug.

Comment

Did you synchronize your carbs? Floats set correctly? Petcock vacuum hose hooked up? Also your airbox has to be on and well sealed for your 850 to run right. Usually idle mixture is set somewhere between 1 1/4 and 1 3/4 turns out. 2 turns isn't that far off however and won't cause the symptoms you describe.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Well, I turned the mixture screws in, and it didn't change much I don't think. Although after I've had the bike running a while the rpms have come down some. Maybe to an acceptable level now. But I'm still getting pops, especially when increasing the rpms.

The airbox is sealed well as I know this to be important for the 850. I haven't synced the carbs, is that typically something that needs to be done after a cleaning? Can this cause misfiring? All three hoses are hooked up to the fuel tank/petcock.

The floats should be set up correctly unless there is something I don't know about how they are assembled. I just put them back on the way that I took them off. They all seem to bounce correctly. Slides have been double checked to ensure proper movement.

The throttle cable is set correctly as well.

So what are the symptoms of un-syncronized carbs?

Comment

opps

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            Sounds like you may have missrouted the throttle cable or have somehow tightened it likely at the throttle grip. Also the choke cable could be holding the choke patially open. I'd check those for sure and if you haven't recently, lube your cables as they could be binding.

Assembly of the throttle linkage could also be an issue if you had them fully apart and i'd double check that everything is seated correctly and the butterflies are fully closed at rest.

Popping is indicative of a lean condition perhaps caused by an airleak around the intake boots. It could also be a result of incorrectly set air/fuel mixture screws.

There is a lot of information on these topics so do a search and read over everything. Something will point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
            Spyug.
            this sounds like it too me..

Comment

Working...
            X