uh oh - oil filter over studs / bolts stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uh oh - oil filter over studs / bolts stripped

uh oh - oil filter cover studs / bolts stripped. So it would seem. I recently did an oil change. when I got under neath to unscrew the bolts from the oil filter cover, i noticed oil had been seeping out of cover. I replaced the filter (the O ring looks fine). When putting the filter cover back on, the bottom left bolt kept turning and turning without tightening. At closer inspection it looks like not only the nut, but the stud might be stripped : #13 { http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...X/1981/1026384 } This worries me. How do I replace this myself. What is the size of the stud? Maybe it is just the nut # 14. Can I get something like this at Home Depot???

thanks as always
    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2007, 11:24 PM.

Try the other nut and see if it spins. If it does, the stud's stripped. If it doesn't, you're in luck and just need a new nut, easily available at a good hardware store.

The tough part is if you have to replace the stud, you stand a very good chance of breaking it off. Sears sells stud removers that work very well, but there's still a chance of breakage. If it breaks, you're going to have to drill it out and retap. You might want to think about having a machine shop do it. If you do it yourself, soak the base of the stud at least overnight with PB Blaster or (better) Corrosion X. Then heat the stud with a torch before trying to wrestle it out. Not glowing hot, just hot.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

I tired the nut test. It looks like it's the stud. DAYUM!!! If I can get it out, how do install the new stud.?? Just tap it in?

Meanwhile, even though the nut can be turned fairly easily with a socket wrench, it's definitely pressing the filter cover on and cannot be turned by hand. Also, the nut is screwed on far enough that it is pressing the washer securely against the filter cover. It's just prob not torqued enough to create a very very tight seem. Would a silicone base sealant perhaps work to seal the seem that the oil is leaking from? For a temp fix?

Comment

The new stud would screw in. It's basically a short threaded rod.

I honestly don't know if silicone would seal it, but you definitely don't want to run your bike low on oil, even temporarily. If you decide to risk it, ride with one eye on your oil light and stop if it so much as flickers.

Comment

That happens all the time with GS's it seems. Over the last 21 years I've had to replace at least half a dozen studs. You SHOULD be able to remove the stud with a pair if vise grips, just get a good grip on the stud and rotate counterclockwise. It might take a tap or 2 with a hammer but no more than that. Order 3 or 4 studs from Suzuki to keep on hand, as you'll need them eventually.
          When you install the new stud, make sure you screw in the crankcase side of the stud, as there is a difference in the threads. Use a little blue Loctite on the threads, let it set a few minutes and you're ready top put the filter cover back on.

One word of advice, it is best to only use Suzuki filter cover gaskets, as most of the aftermarket gaskets are thicker and harder - they don't compress as easily and this will get those studs stripped fast. Oh, these gaskets are reuseable too - I have about 5 Suzuki gaskets that I rotate between at each oil change.

Comment

thanks everyone. i'm going to bike bandit to order the studs, nuts and more gaskets now. much appreicated!!

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
              thanks everyone. i'm going to bike bandit to order the studs, nuts and more gaskets now. much appreicated!!

If it were me, I might just pull the stud (one or all three) and replace it with a bolt. But then again, I've been known to do crazy things ...

Comment

I might be inclined to do that as well, but I'd much rather have a stripped stud or nut than a stripped hole in my engine case. Wonder where I could get some heavy-duty studs that wouldn't strip out as easy.

Comment

would you guys please quickly let me know how a bolt would work for this issue. thanks
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Well, that's pretty easy. Take the stud out, take it to a reputable bolt place and find out what size/thread the part of the stud that goes into the engine is, then buy a bolt that size. It shouldn't be as long as the stud, but long enough to bolt the cover on with enough bite in the engine case. You don't want to bottom it out or it will leak or strip the engine threads. Don't forget to use a washer on the bolt.

Comment

Removing the studs and replacing them with bolts is a good way to get back on the road, but these MUST be replaced with studs ASAP.

6mm threads into aluminum are not designed to withstand repeated assembly and disassembly. A few oil changes down the road, the threads in the cases would be getting very worn and wobbly.

Since I didn't want to reinstall the same low-grade cheddar cheese studs that stripped so easily the first time, I ordered up some stainless steel studs from McMaster-Carr. (Stainless is harder and thus should stand up longer.) You can also find 6mm studs in any hardware store, like an Ace or DoItBest (but not at a home center).
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thank you much for the advice. I ordered the OEM studs from bikebandit. BUt I'm going to check Ace as well. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Removing the studs and replacing them with bolts is a good way to get back on the road, but these MUST be replaced with studs ASAP.

6mm threads into aluminum are not designed to withstand repeated assembly and disassembly. A few oil changes down the road, the threads in the cases would be getting very worn and wobbly.

Since I didn't want to reinstall the same low-grade cheddar cheese studs that stripped so easily the first time, I ordered up some stainless steel studs from McMaster-Carr. (Stainless is harder and thus should stand up longer.) You can also find 6mm studs in any hardware store, like an Ace or DoItBest (but not at a home center).
                          Good point, and good solution BW.

Comment

thanks for the tip, you guys rock. i just got a 1978 gs550e as my first bike and i was tinkering around and seeing if the oil filter needed changing when the stud was too stripped to put it the cover back on. i seriously thought i was done for and i had wasted $650 until i stumbled into this thread. i am going to give the plyers a try after i get something from Ace. still nervous tho...

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                              Just go to ace or westlakes hardware store and get the 6mm by 200mm stud. and put it in.they are better quality than the oem crap

Comment

Working...
                              X