putting bike under load in garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The way I read it, there are NO open cylinders. There are plugs in all of them, but the wires are disconnected from 3. Take those 3 wires and connect them to 3 more plugs that are well-gounded to the engine. You have to have the right load on the coils for them to work right.

Yeah, that's how I read it too - except if compression was too much and I had to pull out one (or two) of the plugs to vent it. I just want to make sure that nothing bad will happen if I have to resort to this.

One last question for everyone, do I need to use a brand new spark plug every time I get a reading? At $2 each that could get expensive - 4 cyls, 3 stages to test, that's 12x$2=$24 just to get a single reading on each stage. And since I've never done this before, I'm sure I'll need to take several readings and do a little trial & error to get the mixture right.

Comment

On the road you would ride for a while at constant speed to clean the plugs if possible.

In the garage I guess you just whip them out & clean them up with a wire brush, no need to use a new one....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Now there's a great idea...played with toys for many years and never thought of that one. Great Idea and it makes sense!! Bonus \\/

Comment

Taking a plug out to reduce load then running it could potentially pull contaminants into the cylinder. Just make sure that there isn't any dirt or gravel at the base of the plugs before removing the plug. normal precaution for a plug swap. When done in the garage, dust in the air would and should be minimal.

Comment

Working...
          X