Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Pressure Air gauge for forks

Hi Folks:

When I got my Bike years and years ago the guys at hte shop said there was no fork pressure gauge in spite of the manual clearly indicating there was one.

In retrospect it seems they may have pinhced it cos I cannot locate a accurate low pressure gauge anywhere.

Does anyone have any links

Are you looking for something like this?

TO

Comment

That would do it but those things are not very accurate.....

Install Progressive springs & do away with the air all together. It's a worthwhile mod.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        That would do it but those things are not very accurate.....

Install Progressive springs & do away with the air all together. It's a worthwhile mod.

Dan
        Exactly what I was about to say. Air is an unreliable and dangerous substitute for the correct spring.

You can find low-pressure air gauges at a farm store -- many tractor tires use extremely low pressures.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Go to ebay and search for suzuki forks air .Search title and description.

Comment

I second the progressives!
            78 GS1000, 220lb rider, 1.25" preload and NO AIR. Sweet ride too.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
              I second the progressives!
              78 GS1000, 220lb rider, 1.25" preload and NO AIR. Sweet ride too.
              Hmmm explain please. I was thinking about ordering some progressive springs for around $80 just cause I am sure mine are worn. If I put them in I am no longer supposed to add air???

Comment

There are no Progressive springs made for my bike alas.

Comment

What year/model?
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I really have to figure out how to put in a signature

1983 gs 550 L

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                      Hmmm explain please. I was thinking about ordering some progressive springs for around $80 just cause I am sure mine are worn. If I put them in I am no longer supposed to add air???
                      That's right. No air needed with progressives.
                      Note. Preload spacers may be required. I used 1.25 inches.

Comment

to get the same amount of air in each of my forks, I put a regulator on the air chuck and set it to (well dang I can't remember what pressure I used) anyway that was the easiest way I could think to get the same pressure. I tried adding air and then letting a little out then the other side what a PITA. Regulator on the air chuck worked great.

Comment

ATV suppliers

quads/ATVs also use low pressure tires, and dealers will have or can order one for a few bucks.

That said, when I put air in my forks it was very hard to set the pressure, becasue taking a gauge reading removed enough air to change the pressure...and putting air in too fast created a leaking fork seal.

Get the Progressive springs. They do list 3 models for various GS550s, just measure your spring length and e-mail them for a recommendation on which one to use. They are pretty good about answering queries.

PS if you want to splash out about $50, Progressive suspension does make make sevral pump-gauge combos for various psi levels. Check their catalogue. Or look around at a high-end bicycle shop.

Comment

Working...
                          X