Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanical clicking. Expert (or not so expert) advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical clicking. Expert (or not so expert) advice please.

I have a GS 850G 1981.
    It makes a mechanical clickclickclick rattle when accelerating. The click is in sync with the engines RPM (one each turn). The clicking is in the 1 to 3 krpm zone and fades out as soon as the motor picks up momentum. It seems to be most apparent when the motor is in a higher gear than it should as I accelerate, and wnen the engine is hot. Examples: I'm going quite slow in third gear, I then twist the throttle to accelerate, motor goes clickclickclik. I go up a steep slope in 2nd gear, motor goes clickclickclick.
    It is a high pitch click that seems to come from inside the engine, though it is tough to pin point as it occures when I'm riding the bike. It sounds like the cam chain rebounding on its slack or as if the gas doesn't explode at the right time in the cylinder, thus causing an offbeat movement. If the motor went clickclick only when I'm realy hoging it, I wouldn't mind so much. But the the fact is it's really easy to put in clicking mode and when the bike is cold, oddly enough, there is no clicking. I have had many bikes in my life and it is the only one that does this clicking sound. I'm clickcl going clickclickc craz..click..zy with the cl..clicking..cl ...

Any ideas what this could be?

The bike has plenty power, idles well, oil is new, air filter ok...

Hey! could the clicking come from the cam chain tensioner?

Comment

Could be spark knock since it seems it's only happening under load. Try a tank of super and see if it helps. If it does then the carbs need to be richened up a bit. Have you done a plug read?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Take the tach cable off and see if it still does it. I once had a worn out cable that clicked. Try the same with the speedo cable.
        If it is in the engine try a carb sync.
        If you think it's the cam chain tensioner take it off and clean it. I don't think they can click though. If it has anything to do with the cam chain it could be a bad cam chain guide.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

To me it sounds like you're in too high a gear when you roll on the throttle. try down shifting then roll on the throttle. If the rattle goes away, the RPM's were to low for the gear.

Comment

Listen closely to the tank. My petcock clicks like you wouldn't believe.

Comment

How many kms/miles on the engine? A clue is it doesn't click when the oil is cold and therefore thicker, once it warms up it can thin out. A number of years ago I began running 20W50 on my '79 GS850 in the warmer months, clutch is a little stiff at first but as the oil warms it is just fine. My old BMW now has over 200K on the engine, run with 20W50 and compression is still over 130psi; in the winter I run 10W40. These old GS engines are virtually indestructible if you change the oil on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Could be spark knock since it seems it's only happening under load. Try a tank of super and see if it helps. If it does then the carbs need to be richened up a bit. Have you done a plug read?
                What is spark knock?

Comment

Thanks guys for all these tips I'll look into it...

Comment

Originally posted by zblip2 View Post
                    What is spark knock?
                    When fuel doesn't have enough octane you get spark knock when the engine is being lugged at to low of an rpm or when under load accelerating uphill and such. It sounds like this may be what you're experiencing. Kind of a rattling sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      When fuel doesn't have enough octane you get spark knock when the engine is being lugged at to low of an rpm or when under load accelerating uphill and such. It sounds like this may be what you're experiencing. Kind of a rattling sound.
                      Sounds a bit as you describe it, though switching to higher octane fuel doesn't change a thing plus it it happens only when the bike is real hot...

Comment

Originally posted by SkeletonLake View Post
                        How many kms/miles on the engine? A clue is it doesn't click when the oil is cold and therefore thicker, once it warms up it can thin out. A number of years ago I began running 20W50 on my '79 GS850 in the warmer months, clutch is a little stiff at first but as the oil warms it is just fine. My old BMW now has over 200K on the engine, run with 20W50 and compression is still over 130psi; in the winter I run 10W40. These old GS engines are virtually indestructible if you change the oil on a regular basis.
                        I already use 20W50 oil. Thanks though for the comment!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Take the tach cable off and see if it still does it. I once had a worn out cable that clicked. Try the same with the speedo cable.
                          If it is in the engine try a carb sync.
                          If you think it's the cam chain tensioner take it off and clean it. I don't think they can click though. If it has anything to do with the cam chain it could be a bad cam chain guide.
                          Could the motor temperature have any insidence on these possibilities? I mean the clicking only shows up when the bike is really hot.

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
                            To me it sounds like you're in too high a gear when you roll on the throttle. try down shifting then roll on the throttle. If the rattle goes away, the RPM's were to low for the gear.
                            I know I could allways downshift to get rid of it. But there is a limit. I would be shifting all the time. It is my 6th bike, and the only one with this problem. The bike shouldn't be clicking at the slightest low rpm load. Shouldn't it?

Comment

go over your engine, valve clearance, ignition timing, may be a can of seafoam, befor you start trying to do any diagnostics.

Comment

Working...
                              X