Carb trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb trouble

Hello, I just got a 83 gs1100e. Changed the oil and put in fresh gas, drained the fuel bowls. The bike has been sitting for along time with little use. The rectifier plug melted and the guy parked it. I have determined that the rectifier is bad, but the stator is good, but the problem is that the bike would only run if the choke was fully on, and when you gave it throtal it would just die. I have the oem air box and filter installed. So I decided to remove the carboraters. I found that the slides were stuck in the jets with a glaze of old varnish. I cleaned them up and blew out all the orfises, and put the carbs. back on, installed the factory airbox, airfilter, ect. everything is in excellent condition. Now the bike will only idle if the choke is on, but now I do have a high-end throtal. When you give it throtal is acts like nothing happens and then BAM! (hang on) I'm new to these type of carbs. The low cercuit is plugged, I'm assuming. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks
    Jeff

P.S. I'm going to post pictures of the bike soon.

Yep, you got it right, there are several tiny fuel jets just behind the throttle butterfly, they can be very dificult to get clean

Comment

What should I clean the carbs with? They are painted black. I used WD40 the last time but must not cleaned it good enough. Thanks Jeff

Comment

carb dip and carb spray as recomended in the carb clean up series(http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm) will do the job very nicely, if you are going that far you mine as well buy new o rings for it to for 15 dollars. (http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/#Outside%20of%20the)

ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks for the link. This will help out alot. I will have to make the scecial tool. I'll have a pic of my bike on the 83 gallery soon. Thank you! Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X