No announcement yet.

Honda R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The black box is the igniter. The red wire should go right to fuse block. Cut it where the old R/R connected to it and put on the new plug.
    Buy a longer ground wire and solder it in to the R/R and get a 14 guage eye for the battery.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks, chef1366. That's what I had gathered from going through the threads, but I hadn't heard of anyone else having to lengthen the green lead.

I've decided to repaint the battery box and fuse block mount while I've got it all out, so it may be a few days before I get it all back together.

When you guys do yours, do you unplug the stator wires where they're joined by bullet terminals in the harness, or do you cut them down farther?

Thanks again.

Comment

Most R/Rs are located right behind the left frame cover next to the fuse block. That's why we didn't have to extend the ground wire.
        The stator wires unplug right where you stated.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

It doesn't look like duneage's stuff will just plug right in to the terminals already on the stator wires. Wonder why he didn't do things that way...

Comment

Maybe someone already changed out the old stator connectors?

Comment

Could be. These have heat-shrink tubing over each individual connector, instead of the clear plastic "loose" tubes over almost every other connector in the bike. I guess my best bet would just be to hack them off right before the current connectors on the stator side and use the supplied connectors there.

Comment

So, I haven't completed this swap yet, mostly due to having to re-roof the house and other distractions. I'm looking at it again...Is there supposed to be a good place to put the female bullet connector on the red wire? Can I just cut it right before the white plug that went to the original R/R?

I'm just wary of doing something I can't easily fix if I screw it up.

Comment

Actually, I just cut the red wire off near the plug, crimped and went with that. The yellow wires plugged right in to the factory female bullet connectors. The bike doesn't seem to increase the brightness of the lights like it used to when you give it gas, but the dash lights still dim a bit when you activate the turn signals.

I'm calling it a night now. Tomorrow I get to heat-shrink the connectors, tuck/zip-tie the wires out of the way and take care of a few other odds and ends. Then, I get to figure out why the engine is missing on #3 again. Grr.

Thanks for the help, folks.

Comment

Suzuki R/R

Greetings All,
                    Is there any particular reason that people use Honda R/Rs? I looked at some modern Suzuki GSXR R/R on ebay and they look pretty much the same. And they don't have that sense wire also. Just 5 wires- one-to-one fit to GS wiring.

Comment

Working...
                    X