1100 Top End Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 Top End Rebuild

Hi to all , firstly sorry about the newby post , i tried to search for the answers using the search feild but i could not find.

I am in the process of a top end rebuild on a GS1100x i have just aquired.
    I had one of my employees strip it , and now in his absence and the genuine repair manuals still on order status , i am trying to put it back together.

Is number one cylinder on the ignition pickup side or stator side ?
    Im assuming the fireing order is 1342 ?
    Cylinder head tension ?
    On TDC Firing cylinder number one , where do the inlet and exhaust cam marks face ?

Its a lot to ask i know.............. what a cool site , look forward to learning heaps and contributing where i can.
    regards jaimes

Originally posted by JaimesW View Post
    Hi to all , firstly sorry about the newby post , i tried to search for the answers using the search feild but i could not find.

I am in the process of a top end rebuild on a GS1100x i have just aquired.
    I had one of my employees strip it , and now in his absence and the genuine repair manuals still on order status , i am trying to put it back together.

Is number one cylinder on the ignition pickup side or stator side ?

Stator side. 1,2,3,4 left to right as sitting on the bike.

Im assuming the fireing order is 1342 ?

1,2,4,3 At least that's the order for an '80 GS1100E

Cylinder head tension ?

Cylinder head bolt - 5.0-8.0 ft.lb. Cylinder head nut - 25.5-29.0 ft.lb.

On TDC Firing cylinder number one , where do the inlet and exhaust cam marks face ?

With "T" mark accurately lined up with the timing mark, exhaust sprocket arrow mark "1" points flush with the gasketed surface of the cylinder head. The other arrow marked "2" is now pointing straight up.

Again, this comes out of the service manual for the '80 GS1100E. If you need further detail, just let me know.

Its a lot to ask i know.............. what a cool site , look forward to learning heaps and contributing where i can.
    regards jaimes
    There's A LOT of knowledge here an I'm sure other guys will jump in with more info that you need. Good luck on your rebuild and be sure to keep us updated.

Comment

One more thing, there should be 20 cam chain roller pins starting at the 3 mark on the intake cam sprocket (which should be pointing straight up) and ending on the 2 mark on the exhaust cam sprocket (also pointing straight up).

You really should pick up a service manual if you're going to get in to the motor to this extent. Just my .02 worth.

HTH.

Don

Comment

Rebuild

Wow thanks very much . I did order a genuine manual when i ordered the rings , gaskets , camchain , rocker arms ect , all but the manual is here. Agree even as a qualified mech i should know better..........but i cant wait another week !
        I used to work on these over 20 years ago , time has faded my poor memory.
        Should i take some photos ?

regs jaimes

Comment

Valve clearance

Hi all , one more ,,,,, does anyone know the valve clearance ?

thanks
          jaimes

Comment

It's 0.03 - 0.08 on the shim type 8V models.. is yours a 16v with adjusters?

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

With my GS11EX manual in hand I'll try to answer your questions gs1100ex (WinCE).jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Should i take some photos ?

regs jaimes[/quote]

Absolutely. If for nothing more than your own reference. I learned a long time ago to take pics of everything before I start a tear down and all during the process. Of course, those were the days when I didn't have a manual with pics to refer back to but I still do it. It does come in handy at times.

Valve clearance when cold on a 16 valve engine: 0.09 - 0.12 mm (0.004 - 0.005 in)

Comment

Huge thanks

Thank you for the help , marvellous.
                  Well its up and running , had a bit of cam timing brain fade - i had the inlet out 180 degrees - no valves hit , but with no compression........
                  simple to fix , undid the two inlet cam sproket bots and rotated the cam 180 - set and forget. I forgot to oppose the two camshaft end cut out slots.
                  Tuning tomorrow , brake mc and caliper rebuilds , ride saturday.

Big thanks to Don_gibb................ooooh it sounds nice

regards jaimes

Comment

Excellent news !!! I know JUST how you feel. :-D Glad to help and I wish you the best of luck with that bike. Post some pics when you get the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X