Charging Woe's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Woe's

Ok let me start with I've had this bike for about 2 years and everything worked great and then i gathered one day that my bike was no longer charging I started to go through the stator papers until i got to the part were i regrounded my r/r my bike will now pick up voltage but its low at 4k rpm I'm only getting 12.80 volts any suggestions

thanks

Jeremiah

Clean all the plugs / pins in the harness in and around the r/r, the main ground for the engine block and double check the ground for the r/r. If you are showing 14v, my money is on a ground either in a plug connection or external ground. Clean em up. :?

Comment

Ok i cleaned the fuse block all the r/r connections batt connections and grounds im still only getting 12.40-.80 at the batt thanks again

Comment

ok I went out and did some more test and found when testing ac voltage from the stator that 2 legs had 65.3 volt and the other leg had nothing. So does it sound like its new stator time?

Comment

What are you seeing at the 3 alternator leads? Should be ~50V AC between any two. Refer to Stator papers for the test procedure.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic
          ..............................27 years

Comment

I see 65.2v AC on 2 combinations and nothing on the other Also on a side note i was looking on ricks electrics websight and it looks like the stator i need fits many suzukis like the 55o - 1100 can any1 confirm this the bike is an 82 gs650e on the ricks websight all the part # for the stator are the same on a lot of diff bikes

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by cycletech565 View Post
              ok I went out and did some more test and found when testing ac voltage from the stator that 2 legs had 65.3 volt and the other leg had nothing. So does it sound like its new stator time?
              Sounds like a stator to me. Wish I could help you an the "what fits what" end, but I've been lucky enough not to have to "go there" yet.

Comment

I agree. Sounds like early stages of stator failure. If it's OEM, then it's nothing unusual. I get 75-80v AC out of my windings and 13.5-14.0 at the battery at 3-5K rpm. This is on an Electrex stator and R/R. If you haven't already, search all the threads on stator and Reg/Rec. The Honda R/R for $40 sounds like a great deal and there appears to be several options you can go with when replacing your stator. Just don't go back to OEM. Yuk. And this is going to be a bit of a PITA, but now is the time to strip back the wire wrapping on your harness and look at the connections involved between your stator and R/R and anything else you can get to. Clean with WD-40 and lube with dielectric grease. TRIPLE check all your ground connections and if you don't have a multimeter, get one and learn how to use it.

Good luck.

Comment

Has any1 tried the stator from ricks i think that is the route ima go i already have a r/r from a cbr waiting to go on

Comment

I've never used a GS stator from Rick's but I've ordered several other electrical parts for other bikes from them and they all worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by cycletech565 View Post
                      Has any1 tried the stator from ricks i think that is the route ima go i already have a r/r from a cbr waiting to go on
                      If what I'm told is true, great parts GREAT service.... :-D

Comment

Thanks again guys for all your help

Comment

Working...
                        X