Can't start my bike!HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't start my bike!HELP!

Riding season is just around around the corner for me and I can't wait to hit the twisties again. One problem. She won't start :x . This will be my second season as a rider so this is the first time I've had start a bike that's been sitting for six months. I drained the battery trying to start her in the fall, but I have her jumped to the car battery so that isn't the porblem.

She has stale gas in her, and it's only a few degrees above freezing here.

She'll sputter for a few seconds after a few seconds(if that makes any sense) with the choke on and she'll sputter slightly after I've had the choke on and then turned the choke off, all the while holding the starter.(That makes even less sense)

She's an '82 GLZ

Any help, tips, or guesses are appriciated!
    Thanks

Here ya go

1- Pull the tank and empty all that stale gas out. Do not run into the carbs a single second longer. It will just gunk things up.

2- Check level of acidity in battery by removing the yellow caps. If it is low on fluid you will need to fill it with DISTILLED WATER. Than put a slow 2 amp charger on battery for 6 to 8 hours. Do this with the battery pulled from bike in case it leaks acid from overflow during charging.

3- Each of your four carburator bowls (bottom of carb) have a screw. This screw when loosened makes a mess but drains all the bad nasty gas from the carbs. Drain bad gas.

4- If feeling friksy pull the carbs and disassemble to clean out all the channels. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID AND START TURNING SCREWS THAT ADJUST FUEL AND/OR AIR MIXTURE or you will never get it right without trial and error or spending money at shop.

5- If skipping step 4 then fill tank with fresh gas mount battery and plug it up. Start bike. Things should be good to go.

Louie

Comment

Absolutely I agree....
      If the bikes been sitting get rid of the old gas, and get nice new gas, clean out those carb bowls and to be certain I might be tempted to whack out the carbs and give all the passages a good clean out - I did and it made a big difference. Also - fit a fuel filter - it saves all kinds of tears.

You might also like to think about replacign the brake fluid - on these old bikes you need to change your brake fluid yearly to maintain braking efficiency. Remember to check the battery - I usually remove it into the house if laying the bike up for months - and check that oil - maybe time for a change too?

Next year before putting it to bed remember to spray a bit of oil down the exhaust pipes and cover ends with plastic bags to prevent mufflers rusting from inside with condensation.

Ohh yes, check your brakes work too....

Comment

One trick is not to use the throttle while starting the bike. It should pick up on its own, using the throttle will just bog the bike down.

Also, if you bike has had carb/exhaust work done on it it may not start at that temp. My stock 400 will start below -20C but my 1100 with a 4 into 1 won't start below -5C.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X