Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 w/ VM carbs: quick question about airbox boots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 w/ VM carbs: quick question about airbox boots...

Hey all. I've been restoring my 79 850 slowly but surely and have one more question regarding carb boots. I've already replaced the carb-motor boots and I know the old airbox boots are not replaceable. Anyway, mine seem like they are pretty loose where they seal to the box. They sit fine in the opening in the grooves but slide around a bit and don't seem to be very airtight. Is this typical? Did any of you seal these up too with silicone in the groove or something? The bike was running pretty well but since I've got the box off I thought I would ask. Thanks.

Josh

You could use a good quality silicone, might be an idea to buy a silicone thats resistent to fuel and oils ( yes I know it's only sealing air but if you have any leaks or are testing for leaks these may degrade the silicone causing problems later) and remains flexible.

I had the same problem with mine and had to seal them too.

Comment

What do you mean they're not replaceable?

Part number 13728-45010. Item #10 on the airbox microfiche. About $7 to $9 each, depending on where you get your parts. Order four.

Silicone breaks down in the presence of gasoline vapor, so it will not form a lasting repair. Besides, it's messy.

The old boots probably feel like hard plastic, but the new ones will be nice and soft.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        What do you mean they're not replaceable?

Part number 13728-45010. Item #10 on the airbox microfiche. About $7 to $9 each, depending on where you get your parts. Order four.

Silicone breaks down in the presence of gasoline vapor, so it will not form a lasting repair. Besides, it's messy.

The old boots probably feel like hard plastic, but the new ones will be nice and soft.
        Woops! My mistake. I had looked at the schematics too but somehow missed that those were available separately. Mine are actually fairly pliable but maybe the new ones will fit more snugly? I kind of doubt it as mine seem to be in pretty good shape. I doubt they would have shrunk. Any input on that?

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
          Woops! My mistake. I had looked at the schematics too but somehow missed that those were available separately. Mine are actually fairly pliable but maybe the new ones will fit more snugly? I kind of doubt it as mine seem to be in pretty good shape. I doubt they would have shrunk. Any input on that?
          Where did you get your airbox? It may be that you have an airbox that fits the later models ('80 onwards) which have larger diamenter CV carbs!!
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
            It's impossible to tell for sure what's going on in your case without photos and detailed measurements, but I do know that many here have been amazed at how much these boots shrink and warp over the years. When you get the new ones, it's hard to believe they're the same part.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X