Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason an '82 GS850 headlamp/housing wouldn't fit my '79 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason an '82 GS850 headlamp/housing wouldn't fit my '79 850?

There's one on Ebay right now and I want to switch to a halogen setup so thought this would work well. It looks like the new models have 2 holes for the wiring rather than the one in the middle as on the '79. I'm sure I can just reroute the wiring. My current housing is cracked and needs replacing anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Josh

As long as the '82 headlight is from a G model, it should work fine. The GL model headlight is smaller in diameter and I believe the entire bucket is chromed metal. If it has the black plastic bucket you should be fine.

The retaining rings from the '79 may or may not fit the '82 bucket, so make sure you get the whole thing. You could compare part numbers to tell for sure.

CRC2 also sells a nice all-chrome replacement -- $60 for the bucket and ring, and you transplant your original headlight lens/reflector.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks! I'm gonna go for it. The whole assembly will only cost about $30 shipped and then I can finally upgrade to a Silver Star H4 and be able to see at night!

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
        Thanks! I'm gonna go for it. The whole assembly will only cost about $30 shipped and then I can finally upgrade to a Silver Star H4 and be able to see at night!

Josh
        silverstar? Meh. adding a coating to a bulb reduces output, it doesn't improve it. You're better with a plain jane sylvania xv than a silverstar.

I say go balls out and get a HID upgrade. I'm getting mine as soon as my 7" round conversion housing arrives (friggin ebay sellers).

I'm a member of bimmerforums.com, and through that I found a semi-group buy for motorcycle HID kits. I bought HID's from Chris for my E36, and I plan on getting a bike kit for my GS.

little more than midway down the page. http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-lighting.shtml

Comment

Working...
        X