1983 GS550E Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550E Electrical Problem

I recently lost all electrical power while riding my 1983 GS550E, and am looking for advice regarding the most likely source of the problem. The battery is good. Is there a main fuse on this bike? If so, can someone tell me where it is?

There should be a fuse block behind the left frame cover. The cover with 550E on it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey there, I also have a 1983 GS 550E. Not trying to be a nitpick - could you describe what your bike does when you try to start it?

Comment

James,
        Under side cover, and then most likley under a white/translucent cover. The cover may indicate which fuse is the main, and which is headlight ectera. May be a spare fuse stored in that white cover also.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
          Hey there, I also have a 1983 GS 550E. Not trying to be a nitpick - could you describe what your bike does when you try to start it?
          At the time I originally posted my question, I was getting nothing, no electrical at all. Now that I have replaced my main fuse, I have electrical but the bike won't turn over. There is no clicking at the solenoid, and even when I bypass it the starter just drags. I can push start it and it idles fine, but when I put it into gear and the rpms come down, it dies.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Clean the batter terminals and connections.

Clean the ground also, it is bolted to the backside of the engine case at the end of the negative battery cable.

Comment

Working...
            X