Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever lost their key for the gas tank???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone ever lost their key for the gas tank???

...and what did you do? i lost my key the other day but got another key to fit but it doesnt work in the gas cap only the ignition. anyone have any ideas of what to do? i thought about drillin it out?

if worse comes to worse, you can always rip the lock out and replace the gas cap, drilling may work as well, as long as you dont get the shavings in the tank i guess?

either that, or have you tried an electric lock picking tool, some good locksmiths will help you there, but im not sure if it will work on that style of lock, where it vibrates the pins while its being turned so it eventually lines them all up, you open it, then just replace the cap.

Comment

The key to my....gas?

Mr. cdub,

Is there a number on the gas cap lock? Can you use that number to get a new key cut?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

see thats a better and less destructive way to fix this problem

Comment

no theres no number i can see on it...

Comment

Does the key that fits the helmet lock also fit the fuel tank? There should be a # behind the helmet lock that you can bring to Suzuki and get a key cut.
            Or just get a good locksmith to cut you a key.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My key fits all three locks, helmet, gas and ignition.

Comment

Ride over to a locksmiths with what gas is in the tank. Ask them to open it, then remove the tumbler (prob. one screw) and make you TWO keys. Put one in a safe place so dont have to do it again. Should take the locksmith all of 10 minutes at most. Shouldnt cost more than 15 bucks. I know I have had many keys made for 8-10 bucks from old bike ignitions, but they might charge you a couple bucks to come out in the hot sun and pick the lock open.

Comment

Working...
                X