Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my r/r story, and questions about charging... (i did search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my r/r story, and questions about charging... (i did search)

so, as per usual, ridin along my 750 dies, then wont charge batt, etc blablabla we know the story. now, before i went through the stator papers, i fully charged the battery, and when i went to check the connections for the r/r guess what? a whole buncha burnt and melted together wires. (surprise) so, i repaired the wires properly and then went through the stator papers, and i have a few ?'s...

o, i also have an 850 i borrowed the r/r from to do a comparison test, but i havent ridden it in like a year so...

-part (a) was ok, so was part (b) so stator and batt wiring are ok.

-for part (c), the 1st and 3rd tests gave me no reading on both r/r's. the 2nd and 4th tests give me readings of 620ish across the board on both r/r's

- now after repair my batt gives me 12.85v now when sitting there, and below 1k rpm idle. when its above 2k rpm - 5k rpm i get 13.3v - 13.4v with the lights on and everything. above 5k rpm it starts goin down to 13.1 and below.

--does this mean shes all good to go, because its charging now? what should the charge be in those situations?

--not really sure why the 1st and 3rd tests of part (c) gave no readings. according to that the r/r should be dead, but its charging? plus both r/r's tested identical. would they both be dead? or ok?

thanks for reading the long story, all opinions welcome...

Mine goes up to 14.8 at 5,000 rpms. Check the stator.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Had the same problem, turned out to be the RR,
      now got 13.8V at idle and 14.85V at 3,500 rpm...

I would worry because of the dropping of the voltage at higher rpm's

buy the honda conversion, you'll be happy...

Comment

so i should be getting 13.5 at idle and 14.8 above 2k rpm?

Comment

so, as per usual, ridin along my 750 dies, then wont charge batt, etc blablabla we know the story. now, before i went through the stator papers, i fully charged the battery, and when i went to check the connections for the r/r guess what? a whole buncha burnt and melted together wires. (surprise) so, i repaired the wires properly and then went through the stator papers, and i have a few ?'s...

o, i also have an 850 i borrowed the r/r from to do a comparison test, but i havent ridden it in like a year so...

-part (a) was ok, so was part (b) so stator and batt wiring are ok.

-for part (c), the 1st and 3rd tests gave me no reading on both r/r's. the 2nd and 4th tests give me readings of 620ish across the board on both r/r's
          The description in the stator papers sucks ... it should not say "a reading of 1.5 or higher", it should say "open" or "no reading" ... your rectifier passes

- now after repair my batt gives me 12.85v now when sitting there, and below 1k rpm idle. when its above 2k rpm - 5k rpm i get 13.3v - 13.4v with the lights on and everything. above 5k rpm it starts goin down to 13.1 and below.

--does this mean shes all good to go, because its charging now? what should the charge be in those situations?
          It's charging, so you're probably good to go ... I would like to see a bit higher voltage though (say 13.8 to 14.6 or so), one possibility that may help is improving your grounding. Run a wire directly from the regulator ground wire to the battery ground.
          The voltage dropping again above 5k is normal, and not really a problem (unless you mainly ride full throttle on the wide open highway and keep it well above 5k rpm for long periods of time - \\/ -)

Comment

Working...
          X