Changing Seat & Fuel Tank for an '80 GS850 GL to a stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Seat & Fuel Tank for an '80 GS850 GL to a stand

Hi! I'm Dwight, and I just joined the GS resources page because of my purchase of a 1980 GS850 GL this past Sunday night. This GL comes with the smaller tank and the stacked seats. I purchased this becuase of the price, but I prefer the look of the standard GS better. I took the seat off of my bike to check to see if the frame was straight so maybe I could swap my fuel tank for the larger standard version and change out the seats. Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I don't know if the frame of both bikes is the same or if it is too different to swap out these parts. I notice in photos that the seat extends further back in the standard than it does on my cruiser style bike and I really like the extra distance provided by the larger tank.

So, anyway - hello! I'm glad I could join this forum and I look forward to learning all about the GS series in the months to come!

from the information I have read, the differance between the "GL" model and the regular "G" model is, the fuel tank, seat, tail section/tail light, side covers, handle bars, instruments, and front forks.
    the tire/wheel size may be differant also.
    you should beable to just bolt on the standard parts,you will need the seat, tail section,fuel tank, and side covers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I'd have to change out the rear section/fender to the G version as well as the seat. You are probably right in guessing that I would need to. Those tail sections look very different in a couple of the pictures I've seen and the G model has to support the seat that goes farther back over the tire.

What is your guess as to the hook ups. Would the fuel guage work typically no matter what tank it is hooked up to? (I know that I'm indicating my lack of mechanical knowledge with this question.)

Comment

The frames are identical. The previous list of differences is correct; one missed item is the difference in fender.

In order to change from one to the other, all of these parts have to be changed. Suggestion: just get a standard. Changing over is probably not cost effective.

Nick

Comment

That's a good suggestion. I wasn't sure how much it would cost. I didn't know the differences in the bikes until after I bought this one.

So, I might try to sell this one and pick up a different bike. If you know of anyone looking for a 1980 GS850 GL from Colorado let me know. I'll post it in the correct forum of this site as well.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X