1982 GS850 electrical or fuel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 electrical or fuel problems

I have an 82 GS850. My bike intermittently cuts out when running. It sometimes boggs down like it is running only on two cylinders and tends to cut out at other times. I have cleaned and replaced filters both fuel and air, had the carburators gone through at a bike shop that is now out of business (part of my problem is that in my town there is no one who works on old bikes now), cleaned and lined the gast tank, had the petcock off and filter cleaned several times. I am wondering if it is some sort of electrical malfunction like the coils etc. I have limited mechanical aptitude. Can anyone make suggestions

Ditch the fuel filter and see if it improves - see other posts - use the search feature - been discussed MANY times.
    If no improvement then you may have ignition component(s) on the verge of total failure, but acting intermittently for now - see other posts for diagnostic steps - use the search feature - been discussed MANY times.

Comment

First check all the wires related to ign. Starting at the s. plugs back and look for a loose or dirty connection.

Comment

Sometimes the spark plug boots go bad but aren't noticeably so. You may want to just replace them anyway as part of regular maintenance. NGK makes some nice ones.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Dkrieghbaum,

First of all let me say that on this day you are hereby formally welcomed to the GSR Forums as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Note that "good standing" usually means pictures! :-D

As far as suggesting suggestions...

If you are your only means of keeping your bike running, then I suggest learning how to do it yourself. Get a Clymer manual, a Suzuki shop manual, a Haynes manual, etc, in your library. Search the forums here, read The Stator Papers, and the Carb Cleanup Series. Don't worry, the folks here are a great support community. Those with more experience and expertise are teaching me how to become a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider. Stick around and the same will happen to you.

Definitely take out any inline fuel filter you may have. These vacuum-fed fuel systems in our bikes don't like them, no matter how "free flowing" they are. Check all of your electrical connections, especially your ground connections (to frame). Be sure they are clean and making good contact. Same with the fuses in the fuse rack, clean and with good contacts. Run the ground wire from your regulator/rectifier directly to the negative terminal on your battery. There are testing procedures in The Stator Papers to help you determine which, if any, electrical component may be failing.

When was the last time you checked your valve clearances? If the clearances are too tight your bike will not run properly and may damage the valves and other important engine parts.

Have you sealed your airbox? Install new weatherstripping on both sides of the airbox and on the top of the air filter cage. Don't over-oil your air filter. Carb boots and O-rings are also potential areas of air leaks. These bikes don't like air leaks.

Are you replacing all the fluids periodically? Crankcase oil, bevel gear (secondary gear) oil, rear differential oil, not to mention brake fluid, need changing, some more often than others.

If you can't get a manual (they're on ebay all the time, if you don't want to order a new one from clymer.com or buy one in a shop) then PM me and maybe we can work out something.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Question about spak plugs wires

Originally posted by walt View Post
            First check all the wires related to ign. Starting at the s. plugs back and look for a loose or dirty connection.
            I noticed when I took off and checked the spark plugs and wires that the two outside plugs were black while the inside plugs were more normal looking. The wires looked okay but could this be a sign that the boots are bad.

Comment

Could this be a plug wire boot problem

I noticed when I took off and checked the spark plugs and wires that the two outside plugs were black while the inside plugs were more normal looking. The wires looked okay but could this be a sign that the boots are bad.

Comment

Working...
              X