GS550 LD became magnetized-why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 LD became magnetized-why?

Bones here again. Does anybody know why my 1983 GS550LD is magnetized all of a sudden? I went to use a screwdriver (near the engine) and it sucked it right to it. Its doing that with any metal that goes near the bike. Very frustrated with this bike. If I can't get it running right soon, I might just end up parting this thing out.

Bones

There is a set of permanent magnets in the starter and in the Rotor of the alternator.

The latter produces a failry strong field and will attract metallin items if they get close enough.

Comment

it's probably the existing magnets, but if there were a short to the stator, could it be charging the coils in reverse, creating a large electromagnet?

maybe see if its' still magnetized if you unhook the battery? it might take a few minutes to lose it, but should be fairly noticeable right away... stick a wrench to it and unhook the battery, see if it falls.

(by the way, I'm not a mechanic, but i like to play like one on the internets 8-[)

Comment

What part of the engine sucks the metal to it? Is the frame magnetised also?
        V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment