Air valve on Fork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air valve on Fork?

I just got through doing the fork seals on my bike and was wondering if I needed to do anything with the air valve after putting the oil in the tubes. Do I have to pressurize it somehow? Probably a dumb question but I'm a noob.

Do you have one on each leg or one only with a hose between the two? Not that it really matters. As long as they are stock springs try running about 5lbs of air at first and see how you like the ride. You'll normally know if they are stock springs if there are no PVC spacers above the springs.

Comment

Yep, stock springs, one on each side.

Comment

If you don't want to run air you could make up some spacers to get the bike set up for your weight. You set up what is called sag, that's the difference in length of the fork with the wheel off the ground and fully extended, and the length of the fork with both wheels on the ground and your weight in the seat. Just use PVC with a fender washer between the spring and the PVC. Try different lengths until you end up with 1" of sag. You can do the same with air and no spacers. It's just that using spacers eliminates the air altogether and you don't have to keep an eye on air pressure.

Comment

Subscribing

Comment

I can't seem to get my bike pump to properly fill the forks with air - all the pressure escapes when I try to remove the pump. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Z View Post
              I can't seem to get my bike pump to properly fill the forks with air - all the pressure escapes when I try to remove the pump. Any tips?
              You have to find a pump that you can get the air vavle under the handlebars.I used a quick release one.If you have somebody that can help you have them hold it on there while you pump.If you go to the spacers or progressive springs you wont have to use air and you also get a better ride.

Comment

I just put the forks back on the bike so if I can avoid taking them off that would be the best. If I had known the spacers trick before changing the seals I probably would have gone that route though. In case I decide to crack open the forks again, what info can you give me on the spacers? What size should I put in?

Comment

The spacers are installed after the fork is back together. You just pull the caps off and the spacer goes under the cap.

Comment

I measured mine from the top of the spring to the top of the tube and used 2" spacers but I have progessive springs too.That would be a good place to start.It's very easy to do and you will notice the difference as soon as you get the bike off the center stand.Dont forget to put the washers in between the springs and spacers.

Comment

Where would be a good place to get progressive springs? I noticed in your response you set the sag at 1". Would the same hold true for stock (non-progressive) springs??

What diameter PVC pipe is best? The largest that will fit down the tube dia with the fender washer?

Thanks - I'm still learning!

Mike
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

With a spacer you can get the ride just the way you like it.You will need to measure the O.S. of your spring and get a pvc pipe close to that size.It just has to be able to move freely.The washer in between the top of the spring and spacer will keep the spring from digging away at the pvc spacer.Make sure you cut it of even so that it will sit in straight and not at an angle.Somebody else should know the size of pvc pipe you should get cause I have a 650 and it has smaller fork tubes.You could just pull the top off the fork and measure your spring then go buy some.If you put a spacer in till it is flush with the top of the tube that would give you an idea what you would need if it still seems a little too cushy for you.pvc pipe comes in 8 ft. lengths so you will have plenty to play with.It is really a personal preference on how you want it to feel.It also depends on you weight and riding style.You just don't want it "bobbing around" when your shifting.I also used a pipe cutter to cut it off clean and even.Make sure both pvc pieces are the same size,that is important.Google progressive suspension and you will find a dealer in your area that carries them or you can order them from their web sight.They are about 80 bucks.

Comment

Be careful not to put in to much air as you could blow you seals. The 1000s can with a small pump that looks like a needle.

Comment

Working...
                          X