Strange noise from 1980 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange noise from 1980 GS1100E

I recently got my bike running again (1980 GS1100E) after a paint job and repairing some holes in my exhaust. I've noticed that it now has a noise coming from the engine that gets louder as it warms up. It can best be described as a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound. Not a zee, but a continuous, breathy zzzzzzz. It varies with rpm not speed and seems to be coming from the top of the engine, number one cylinder. My only thought is that it might be valve lash, if it is, will it hurt the engine if I continue to ride it? It still makes plenty of power as I inadvertently pulled a wheelie going forty in first as I went from barely open throttle to part throttle. Thanks for your help.

Wouldn't ride it like that... Why not pull the valve cover and see what you can see?

Are you sure it's not an exhaust leak? You said you'd been messing with the exhaust. Maybe try new exhaust gaskets?

Comment

I've felt around the header gasket area and did not feel any whusps of air. It also sounds like it's coming from inside the engine. I'm hesitant to pop the cover since I haven't cracked this engine open yet, I don't have a gasket and I tried cracking this thing apart before and couldn't budge it.

Comment

Cam chain when it has slack in it makes noise like you described

Comment

How many miles are on the bike? Clean and reinstall the cam chain tensioner.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I cleaned and reinstalled the tensioner, but the noise is still there. There is some wear on the tensioner piston ramp and I think the noise has to do with the cam chain. What sort of noise occurs when the cam chain wears through the chain guide? The bike probably has somewhere around 35-40 thousand miles on it. I'm not sure since I've gone through 3/4 instrument clusters.

Comment

Pull off the valve cover and have a look at the cam sprockets and the top chain guide (in the valve cover) Check the cam chain for extra play. I wouldn't think you can wear a cam chain out in 40000 miles but it's possible.
              I'd try new exhaust gaskets first. They are cheap.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

noise

now im no tech but i will say my gs1100e has made this sound for 3 years .. sounds like i have a lil turbo . iv looked in the head and adjusted my valves and its till running great but has the same zee noise . some guy told me its the clutch baskit gear and it happens over time.. but i still have it and im still running the hell out of it. lol good luck .

Comment

After not having any luck with the automatic tensioner, I bought a manual one and of course it didn't fix the problem. The best that happens is that the noise goes from a high pitched one to a deeper one once I turn it in past a certain point. I know I should just bite the bullet and open it up, but never been inside this engine what should I expect as being wrong? It's still rideable, though I'm not pushing, it so it is a good back up vehicle.

Comment

it might be the cam chain guide(the tensioner presses on this), they usually wear out before the chain does. When i replaced mine it a bunch of tiny cracks, and was pretty flimsy...my bike also had 80,000 miles on it

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1100 View Post
                      it might be the cam chain guide(the tensioner presses on this), they usually wear out before the chain does. When i replaced mine it a bunch of tiny cracks, and was pretty flimsy...my bike also had 80,000 miles on it
                      So you got this noise after you put the new guide in?

I put a new guide #1 in mine back before it was on the road and I too have that annoying as hell noise. After the guide wears down a bit it will be all good?

I too checked everything replaced all the gaskets set the valve gaps etc and the bike runs great. Just makes that noise

Funny thing was I was just gonna post a thread of my own about this. Wonder if I can capture the sound on file and post it someplace for yall to listen.

Comment

Working...
                      X