which aftermarket coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which aftermarket coils?

g'day everyone! i have a 1978 gs750 that needs new coils, (amongst other things). i've read lots about the dyna replacements, but has anyone used the accel replacements? if so, how do you rate them? if not, why not? any input would be greatly appreciated! thx, randy.:-D

Can't give you any input on the Accel coils, but I have a 78 GS750 and replaced the stock coils with the Dyna 3 ohm, 12 V angled, dual output. They seem to be working great. Probably have put on 10,000 miles since I swapped them out. Really needed to push the new plug wires into them very hard though. It was a very tight fit.

Comment

I vote for Dyna. I'm not a fan of the yellow wires on the Accel coils.

Comment

If you're able to use 3 ohm coils just get a newer set of coils from a Bandit or Katana off Ebay. Usually you can get them for about $30. You used to be able to get practically new GSXR coils too but they've gone to individual coils built into the plug caps.

Comment

Originally posted by randallscott View Post
          g'day everyone! i have a 1978 gs750 that needs new coils, (amongst other things). i've read lots about the dyna replacements, but has anyone used the accel replacements? if so, how do you rate them? if not, why not? any input would be greatly appreciated! thx, randy.:-D

Sure, I've got a set of Accel coils and and wires that I'll ship to you for the cost of shipping !! Of course, they're TOTAL CRAP !!! Always ran them with the stock ignition, never over heated them or abused them in any way. Some how they burned out. Primary reading 1-2 ohms and fluctuates between the two readings. Secondary jumps all over the place. Junk, junk, junk. I bought them brand new and they were 3 ohm rated. Swapped out to a set of Dyna green 3 ohm and they're great. I'll never buy anything made by Accel again. I had a set of Accel wires I bought for a Ford van that I had and those wires were bad, right out of the box. Took me several weeks to figure that one out. Grrrr !!! Go with Dyna and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
            I vote for Dyna. I'm not a fan of the yellow wires on the Accel coils.
            Same here.

Comment

Ditto the dyna recomendations. I'm running the green 3 ohm, dual-output with black, copper core dyna wires. The difference in my bike's performance was amazing. The best price I've found for both is at Z1.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
              X