Need firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need firing order

I own a 1980 GS850L, but the guy I bought it from messed up the wiring for the firing order. I don't have a manual, can someone please tell me the order or at least a diagram of what plug is what.....Ok, I tried to but the left coil to run 1 & 4, nada.....plenty of spark, but the bike won't fire up.....The guy I bought this from had accel coils on and the bike ran great for about 3 days then burnt out the brainbox. I have since went back to the factory original box and coils. I get plenty of spark, but the bike won't fire, any suggestions......August 17th, Finally got the bike runing...Found that it was not only the firing order, but the battery needed a good charge.....Once I charged the battery it fired and runs as smooth as can be, I want to thank everyone for their input to help me out....Now I can ride again....THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM. Reason: new info

Most inline fours are 1243
    Speed Merchant
    http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I have the shop manual from a 78 GS750. It says 1243, with number 1 being the cylinder on your left while sitting on the bike.

Comment

The spark plug wires from the coil on the left side go to cylinders 1 and 4. The spark plug wires for the coil on the right side go to cylinders 2 and 3.
        The cylinders fire in pairs (left col-1,4) and (right coil-2,3), so as long the the wires from the left coils are connected to cylinder 1 and 4, it does not matter which wire is on cylinder 1 and which wire is on cylinder 4. The same is true for the right coil and cylinders, 2 and 3.

The left side of the bike is the left when you are sitting on the seat.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ain't working

I tried to hook the left coil up like you guys said, but now all I get is spark but the bike won't fire....What the hell am I doing wrong.....The guy I bought this bike from had Accel coils in it and burnt out the brainbox, now I put in the factory originals and get squat....HELP.....[-o<

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjeanie1954 View Post
            I tried to hook the left coil up like you guys said, but now all I get is spark but the bike won't fire....What the hell am I doing wrong.....The guy I bought this bike from had Accel coils in it and burnt out the brainbox, now I put in the factory originals and get squat....HELP.....[-o<
            Could be someone at one time reversed the primary wires to the coils. It's possible you're firing coils the opposite of how they should be. If your bike is anything like mine you will have an orange/white wire to each coil. Then you should have a black/yellow going to the right coil and a white wire to the left coil. After that the left coil fires 1 and 4 and the left coil fires 2 and 3.

Comment

Silly Question

I hooked everything up like you guys suggested, yet it still won't fire....My silly question is this....If the plug gap is too far open, will it cause the problem I am having, if that is a possibility, what is the proper gap ?[-o<

Comment

Maybe it's just your starting procedure. If the petcock has a prime position put it on prime for about 30 seconds before trying to start the bike. Don't forget to return the petcock to the run position. Use full choke and don't touch the throttle when cranking.
                If you're getting good spark at the right time and it still won't start you have other issues, most likely carb related. If the bike sat for any length of time with fuel in the carbs they need a good cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                X