Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Hate Electrical Problems! Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Hate Electrical Problems! Help Please!

OK...now that I have your attention:

I have an '82 GS650GL. I know my way around cars mechanically and have used said knowledge to get this bike running after about five years in my neighbors garage. However, I've never been very good with electrical stuff. So, here's what's going on and what I've done thus far:

While running the bike for about 5+ minutes to adjust the idle, we were revving now and then. During one rev, she jumped and flat died. With how she went down, I knew it was most likely something electric. No lights, nothing. So, I check the main fuse. The filament was fine but, upon further inspection, I saw that the back end of the fuse cap had a nice round hole blown through it. So, I replace said fuse. All the lights come back to life when I turn it on. So, I go to turn it over...nothing...at all. No turn, no click, nothing. So, I thought I'd try an old trick from cars and cross the post on the solenoid (starter relay on bikes I've learned). She starts turning right up. So, I figure bad solenoid. I replaced it today and hit the start button...same freakin' thing! I asked the guys at the shop to test the solenoid really quick just since I've had issues like that in the past where the new part is shot, but they wouldn't. Could that be the case? Or might there be something else? When I cross the post, everything starts going. So, that leads me to believe that all the circuits from point A to point Z are fine and that the starter is fine. I opened the ignition and looked at it and nothing looked fried. I'm at a complete loss right now and am VERY frustrated! What am I missing? What else can I check? My wife's getting sick of me stealing her '81 550. lol Thanks for any help.

Adam

Hi. Putting your electric phobia aside, you'll need to get into the wire diagram. Start with continutity between the start button and the start solenoid. As you've emntioned that from the solenoid out to the starter all is fine, then you'll have to figure out what is the holdup between the starter button and the solenoid. Make sure the fuse box is clean where the fuses plug in. I've noticed they get very corroded.

Good luck.

Rick

Comment

There should be a little switch under the clutch lever. Follow the wires into the headlight bucket, unplug the wires and plug the wires in the bucket into each other. Take off the clutch safety switch and throw it away. Now don't start your bike in gear without the clutch pulled.
      If this doesn't do it take off the right handle bar switch that has the kill switch and clean it. Clean the start button while you're in there.

Clean the connections on the battery and the ground that leads to the engine crankcase. Then clean the connections on the solenoid and the starter itself. Use a fine grade sandpaper on the conections and use dielectric grease on them.

If you keep blowing fuses check out the stator papers flow chart
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can easily check the solenoid by running a wire from the small "activation" wire on the solenoid to the positive side of the battery. If the bike turns over, the solenoid's fine and you need to start looking for wiring problems. I don't know if your bike has the kickstand safety switch, if it does that could also be a culprit. Get rid of it and the clutch safety switch.

Comment

A common problem on these bikes is a failed regulator/rectifier. When it fails it can cause the symptoms and problems you described.

A small trick I used when mine exhibited those same problems, and had to be parked on the side of a highway:

There is a plastic wire connector that feeds the R/R.
          Disconnect it and let it hang loose.

Turn on the ignition and try to start the bike. There is a good chance that all the lights will come on, the bike will start immediately and it can be driven 30 miles home on battery power.

If this works you will need to replace the R/R, but you must also check out the stator as R/R failure often damages the stator.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X