new bike ignition troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bike ignition troubles

Hello, I bought a 84 gs 1150 ef a motnh ago. rode it 3200 km home no trouble. I am riding to the lake get halfway there and it has no power would sit about 4000-5000 rpm. if you could get it wound up to 6000-7000 rpm it would start to go itermitently. I kept riding about another 30 kms and thought the plugs might be fouled it seemed to be running on less than 4 cylinders. I checked the plugs and cleaned them up. tested the ignition 1 and 4 no spark 2 and 3 spark. Got bike home and checked coils with ohmmeter they are good. my battery after i charged it and topped it up. the voltage was 13.4 after farting around checking every thing it is 12.4 volts. i swapped the wires frm the ignitor to the coils and the 1 and 4 fire with the 2 and 3 ignitor wires. -coils good.
    -battery good? - is the voltage after charging to low?
    -checked signal generator good continuity
    I then lookedat the connections to the ignitor and cleaned up the connections. still no spark 1 and 4
    tried to test ignitor using the testing procedure here and in shop manual. took ignitor out of bike and notice that PO had disassembled the ignitor and resealed it? Why would anyone disassemble a sealed transitorzed ignitor.

the main question is is the ignitor bad. if all cylinders fire after about 6000 rpm could it be the battery voltage or the alternator/stator. I am confused. Is there a after market ignition available for the GS 1150. I have looked on the dyna website and they don't appear to have one for it. I know 1150s are good as dragbikes does someone make a aftermarket high performance bolt on ignition. Other than all of this this bike runs excellent. even on two cylinders it idles and runs.

Dynatech makes a Dyna 2000 for the 1150. Part number DDK3-2c*. Pricey at $500. Don't know why the Dyna S doesn't work on the 1150 because the 2000 fits all the same bikes but the 1150.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

To test if it is a bad coil switch them, have 1/3 be 2/4 and vice versa. The problem should move. If it does replace the coils. I am gonna need a new set myself. Go OEM.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2007, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Dynatech makes a Dyna 2000 for the 1150. Part number DDK3-2c*. Pricey at $500. Don't know why the Dyna S doesn't work on the 1150 because the 2000 fits all the same bikes but the 1150.
        I've read that some bikes require an older or different model advance, could that be the case here? You may get away with a Dyna S if the advance from a compatible bike will fit your application.

Comment

I think you're right. The 1150 has an electronic advance and the Dyna S needs a mechanical advance.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So if you can find a mechanical advance off of a different model GS that will fit your bike, then order the Dyna S for that bike, it should work.

Comment

After checking and re checking it looks like the ignitor is toast. I am still confused as to why the PO had opened the box to the ignitor. I will see about a used one for now and ask santa claus for the dyna 2000 for christmas. If anyone has a used one OEM or a Dyna I would be interested. I really want to ride my bike.

Comment

Ignitor

I ordered an after market ignitor from some outfit in New Zealand. The cost was around $140 with shipping. I think it was Hyperpak. The best $140 I spent on my GS1150. Brought it back from the dead. I found it on Ebay, and I think he (small company) has a website. If you can't find it, I could look up the paper work.

Comment

Originally posted by V84ME View Post
                  I ordered an after market ignitor from some outfit in New Zealand. The cost was around $140 with shipping. I think it was Hyperpak. The best $140 I spent on my GS1150. Brought it back from the dead. I found it on Ebay, and I think he (small company) has a website. If you can't find it, I could look up the paper work.

I found it, http://www.erd.co.nz/buy/index.html I think that will be the way I go. you just plugged it in and went? I just want to ride and not fiddle fart around when the weather is good.

Comment

Good news, after looking at the ignitor that the PO had taken apart, I noticed that one connection inside was broken. a jumper wire some solder and it is working better than before. awesome, thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X