Best Engine Cleaner/Treatment???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Engine Cleaner/Treatment???

I rebuilt my carbs but I dont have time right now to rebuild the whole engine and I was wondering if anyone had used with some sort of success some sort of engine cleaner/treatment product from an auto store?

I still need to sync the carbs with my manometer, get a morgan color tune and tune my Fuel/Air Mixture, and replace my coils/wires, clean or replace my fuel cap as I got real bad vapor lock today.

Let me know your recomendations please!

PS: If anyone has a color tune in CT I would REALLY appreciate borrowing it!

What are you trying to accomplish with the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      What are you trying to accomplish with the engine?
      I think I may have an issue with my third cylinder. Could be just the coil but I dont think so. I get a little backfiring/sputtering out of my right exhaust pipe (Which is not OEM, the pipes look like a MAC 4 - 2, no center H tube) and rolling on the throttle when I first start the bike it looses power then picks back up, repeat a few times till it gets warm then it runs ok but still get the sputtering/backfiring.

Carbs were all rebuilt, pulled apart and checked a second time by another guy then I checked em again myself before I put them back together, plug is new, all have the air screw out 2 turns. I am kinda thinking a valve may be sticking. Not sure what else it could be.

Comment

Now that I think about it I dont think it is a valve unless it is sticking cause I had great compression in all 4 cylinders...

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
          Now that I think about it I dont think it is a valve unless it is sticking cause I had great compression in all 4 cylinders...
          First of all if the compression is good don't mess with the engine other than doing maintaince. Sticking valves is quite rare so I'd dismiss that thought unless you know something specific to indicate that.

Regarding the engine, how do the plugs look? White by chance? Often times changing the exhaust requires rejetting the carbs - particularly so if you have ditched the air box.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            First of all if the compression is good don't mess with the engine other than doing maintaince. Sticking valves is quite rare so I'd dismiss that thought unless you know something specific to indicate that.

Regarding the engine, how do the plugs look? White by chance? Often times changing the exhaust requires rejetting the carbs - particularly so if you have ditched the air box.
            I am still not sure what rejetting the carbs means. The exhaust was on the bike when I got it I have not changed anything other than rebuilding the carbs. I did take the cams off to change the chain guide and I let someone else put them back in and set the timing so just to be safe I should check it myself. He was a good guy, knew what he was doing, but it cant hurt to check.

The airbox is stock with new boots, clamps, OEM filter, etc.

I will check the plugs after I unload the bike in CT, its in a uhaul right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
              I think I may have an issue with my third cylinder. Could be just the coil but I dont think so. I get a little backfiring/sputtering out of my right exhaust pipe (Which is not OEM, the pipes look like a MAC 4 - 2, no center H tube) and rolling on the throttle when I first start the bike it looses power then picks back up, repeat a few times till it gets warm then it runs ok but still get the sputtering/backfiring.

Carbs were all rebuilt, pulled apart and checked a second time by another guy then I checked em again myself before I put them back together, plug is new, all have the air screw out 2 turns. I am kinda thinking a valve may be sticking. Not sure what else it could be.
              Sounds like the classic "lean" condition. Check for air leaks...if you have none, you will most likely be in for a rejet (larger mains) usually, though a load test and plug chops will tell the story.

Comment

Working...
              X