Hot Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Wires

I just installed my new r/r on my 82 gs1100gk.When i started it i let it run awhile and i touched the wires coming from the new r/r to the plastic plug in,they were hot.I shut the bike off because i was afraid it would melt the wires.It seemed that hot to me..i checked the wires that come from the stator on the other part of the harness((under the side of the gas tank)) where i soldered and heat shrinked them together and they were fine..Im sure if i looked enough on here this has been said and answered 100 times but i havent found it yet so im asking you all.. i havent tested the diodes on the new r/r yet being i left my multimeter at work..Do i have something to worry about ?? Should i connect them solid and rid the plastic connector?? and suggestions will be greatly appreciated..im dying to get out and ride again its been 2 weeks i ordered my new r/r from motorcycle warehouse and it took 12 days to get here so im looking for answer before i screw up my new r/r again many thanks
    thank you Pat

Originally posted by ny_redneck04 View Post
    Should i connect them solid and rid the plastic connector??

No doubt. Ditch the connector.

Before

After

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for your reply bonanzadave.. i already soldered the 3 stator wires together and got rid of the bullet connectors. from your 2 pic i take it i should do the same thing to the r/r connectors..... sorry if i sound like im repeating myself i just dont wanna screw anything up,,the wife doesnt care bout riding or the bike so if i have to keep putting money into things that i already bought it will be lonely nights on the couch lol

Comment

I hate electrical things sometimes...

Comment

I haven't heard of a 100% accurate way to test the RR yet, but I would think you should be able to get a good enough connection to know its working before you go about soldering things together?

maybe a wire is misplaced?

Comment

don't forget to add a ground wire from the reg to the battery. Bad ground is the quickest way to fry the reg.

Comment

Make sure it's from the regulator body to the negative post.

Comment

You could also run the hot off the r/r wire straight to the battery with an inline fuse too.

Comment

Another Update

Wires soldered together they get lil warm but nothing like before ..Now it is charging fine ..Thank you all Cant wait to ride tomarrow(((raining now lol)) again THANK YOU
                  Pat\\/

Comment

Working...
                  X