Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on brake calipers

Hi all
    I run a standard 1979 gs1000s with solid brake discs (sorry, rotors as you guys over the pond call them) and have braided hoses fitted and am thinking of upgrading the fronts, i have been offered a set of GSX1100 vented discs and a set of Gsx750 calipers from a 1980 bike and am told that these will directly replace the originals. on a GS1000
    Question is, are these direct replacements, and has anybody tried or know what can be fitted as replacment
    regards
    Les

Has nobody tried later discs or calipers on there GS1000......?

Comment

I posed a similar question a few weeks ago, and received a similar response. I've since gotten a set of VF500 two-piston calipers that look like they can be adapted without too much fabrication. I haven't heard of a newr caliper that just "bolts" up.
      Hugh

Comment

Thanks for that Hugh, would be intrested to find out how you get on
        Les

Comment

Uncharted territory?

Hi Mr. fouchie1,

A lack of response could mean that no one has tried your particular combination of upgrades. That means you could be the first to gain this experience and share it with the GS collective. Be sure to post your results as I'm sure many will appreciate your efforts. I'm not quite brave enough yet to go sailing off in such uncharted waters. 8-[

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I bought and sold some front rotors off a 79 850 if I remember right. I compared the bolt pattern to the rotors off my GS1100. They seemed that they would of bolted right up. I bought these rotors to replace the ones I had but when they arrived they were the older solid type so I didn't use them. The Ebay seller said they were off an 80 and they weren't.
            I believe the only difference in the rotors is that the older ones were thicker and weighed more.
            To answer your question they should bolt right up.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X