Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIN problem. 9th character rubbed off. can't register!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIN problem. 9th character rubbed off. can't register!

Hi All,

My '81 450L has been registered since I bought it with a 16 character VIN. I think this is because the 9th character is unreadable (rubbed off by cables?) on the steering tube. The manufacture sticker is gone.

Everything was fine until Geico's computer system wouldn't re-register the insurance without a 17 character VIN. The agent at Geico simply added an extra character to the end of the VIN in her system to get around the problem.

Unfortunately, the CA DMV does a computer check to make sure the registration VIN and insurance VIN match. I just got a letter saying my registration's been revoked.

I'm hoping that the 9th character for all '81 450Ls is the same. I have an '81 450L parts bike, and the VIN does match up to the 10th character. Here are the VINs:

JS1GL51LXB2100040 (parts bike)
    JS1GL51L_B2100155 (bike with missing character)

It certainly appears that the missing character should be an X. If I can get documentary proof of this, I'm sure I can fix the registration problem.

If anyone has an '81 450L, could you please let me know if you're VIN matches my parts bike up until the 9th character?

Has anyone else had this problem in California and what evidence did you need to get around it?

Thanks,
    Matt

According to this site, the 9th digit is the "check digit" and also according to the site, the 10th character is the year code.

The site doesn't say that the check digit will be the same for the same model and year of motorcycle though. And I can't really bring a printout of a web page to the DMV. I'll keep looking around.

-Matt

Comment

Not sure if this is pertinent or not but the Check Digit on cars varies from numbers 0-9 and X.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Take the bike & your paper work to the CHP inspection station, (need to make an appt) If they think everything is OK they will issue a new vin # & sticker for the frame

The inspection is $50 last I heard
        Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Wrap a piece of clean paper around the neck where the # is. Take a pencil and with side of the lead run it up and down on the paper and see if you can get the number to appear.
          It used to work on old Civil War graves that you couldn't read anymore.:shock:
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You don't have a title with the vin number on it for the bike?

Comment

I have to agree with Killer2600, where is your title?????

Comment

Just took a look at the title for my 81 GS450 and it shows a 1 instead of an X. (JS1Gl51L1B2............)
                In your case though, I would be inclined to predict the missing character is X as you said.
                Earl

Originally posted by matt_gs450 View Post
                Hi All,

My '81 450L has been registered since I bought it with a 16 character VIN. I think this is because the 9th character is unreadable (rubbed off by cables?) on the steering tube. The manufacture sticker is gone.

Everything was fine until Geico's computer system wouldn't re-register the insurance without a 17 character VIN. The agent at Geico simply added an extra character to the end of the VIN in her system to get around the problem.

Unfortunately, the CA DMV does a computer check to make sure the registration VIN and insurance VIN match. I just got a letter saying my registration's been revoked.

I'm hoping that the 9th character for all '81 450Ls is the same. I have an '81 450L parts bike, and the VIN does match up to the 10th character. Here are the VINs:

JS1GL51LXB2100040 (parts bike)
                JS1GL51L_B2100155 (bike with missing character)

It certainly appears that the missing character should be an X. If I can get documentary proof of this, I'm sure I can fix the registration problem.

If anyone has an '81 450L, could you please let me know if you're VIN matches my parts bike up until the 9th character?

Has anyone else had this problem in California and what evidence did you need to get around it?

Thanks,
                Matt
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

last ditch method

1. Find a friendly, helpful Suzuki dealer.
                  2. Ask them to try running the VIN # you have, plugging in #'s 0-9 in the last position. It's a pain so a couple of pepporoni pizzas, 3 dozen homemade brownies or case of beer might help her.

They can see all VIN #s and match the one that mates up with your engine #/

3. Now that they helped you be sure to shop there even if you can get stuff cheaper online! Ain't nothing more useful than a dealer who sees you as a friend as well as a customer.

Good luck!

Comment

The position of the missing character may be a letter or number.

Earl

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
                    1. Find a friendly, helpful Suzuki dealer.
                    2. Ask them to try running the VIN # you have, plugging in #'s 0-9 in the last position. It's a pain so a couple of pepporoni pizzas, 3 dozen homemade brownies or case of beer might help her.

They can see all VIN #s and match the one that mates up with your engine #/

3. Now that they helped you be sure to shop there even if you can get stuff cheaper online! Ain't nothing more useful than a dealer who sees you as a friend as well as a customer.

Good luck!
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hi All,

Yes I had the bike registered, but since it was bought two years ago, it was registered with the 16 character VIN. In other words, the DMV system didn't have a problem with a short VIN. There was no issue until Geico required 17 characters at which point the DMV saw the mismatch and here I am.

Chef, I'll try your trick but I've looked with a magnifying glass, and tried a few other things, and I just can't see the missing character.

The dealership route: I'll try but those guys never seem to want to talk to me. I'll buy a couple oil filters to sweeten them up.

I'll check out the CHP website and see about an inspection. Hope to have this cleared up shortly.

Thanks for your help,
                      Matt

Comment

Try looking on Wikipedia under "Vehicle Identification Number." They have a "check digit calculator" under that post. I can't vouch for the accuracy of Wikipedia, but that calculator looks interesting. It's probably right.

Comment

Matt have you tried punching in all possible combinations into a site like carfax,com or experian,com I know when I bought my bike on ebay I used experian and my bikes information was accessible.

Comment

Shouldn't it match the engine VIN?

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                              Shouldn't it match the engine VIN?
                              No, they seldom match. In fact, the formats are entirely different.
                              The engine number's format is simply GS850-156486, but the frame shows the 17-digit number like the one you listed.

For example, the last parts of our '82 850 are:
                              156486 - engine
                              103910 - frame

our '82 650:
                              125972 - engine
                              102770 - frame

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X