Idle, running issues. 80 750L 4V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle, running issues. 80 750L 4V

Well, finally picked up my new-to-me bike.

Runs like a bag under 4K, then goes like a rocketship. Idles poorly, and has a hard time staying running after a good twist of the throttle. New plugs, air filter, oil changed.

Went to local Suz/Yam dealer, they gave me some Yammie Carb Cleaner that you mix with gas and let sit in the carbs for an hour or two, did that, slightly better but still un-good.

15K on the bike, sat for most of the last 2 years. Seems to be getting better the more I run it but it's still not close to where it should be, IMO.

I seem to be looking at doing the carb rebuild thing, and the writeup on this site is quite good, however, I've never looked at a carb twice in my life and have no idea how to set them back up after following the instructions to the end of whats here. I went and picked up a big can of carb dip and some spray cleaner and thats where I am.

Anyone have any input for me at all here? Any other ideas or am I right on with the carb issue?

Honestly, Im **** scared to start dicking with these carbs as I really dont want to screw it up and I'd like to ride it to work on Monday if possible.

Help?

Jump in man! Just go slow and keep your little bits organized. It's not as bad as you imagine. Actually the worst part is getting them in and out, and that's just a matter of finesse and patience. Lots of good info on this stuff in the archives!

You might also try some SeaFoam in the gas first. It's pretty much regarded as the best additive 'round here. I dump a full can in sometimes if that doesn't help by the end of the tank, ya gotta buck up and clean those carbs!

Comment

By the way, do yourself a favor and buy carb and intake o-rings from cycleorings.com. Grab the stainless intake bolts too. Real cheap and great service from our own Robert Barr!

Comment

If you strip the carbs without having the o-rings you are going to have to do the job twice - or park the bike until the parts arrive. Short cuts are long cuts when it comes to GS carb rebuilding. Oh, and don't forget the intake tube o-rings as t3rmin mentioned.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Until all that happens ( ordering your o-rings from Robert and cleaning the carbs) go to the auto parts store and get some "deep creep" sea foam carb cleaner and spray it in the carbs with the bike running at about 3 g's.This may get you by till your parts come in.Robert usually will get them to you in less than 4 days!Do take your time doing the carbs and you wont have to do them over again.I try to find the joy in "doing" rather than the joy of being done.Just think of how good it will run when your finished!!!

Comment

Well, like I say, it's not the disassembly that worries me, its the re-assembly, and then having no idea how to tune it back to spec.

Never touched a carb in my life.

Ill try that deep creep stuff, but getting this thing to 3'gs is a chore.

Comment

Just do it. We'll help you.
              P.S. He doesn't have intake o-rings but intake hoses.
              I assume you have the thread for carb cleaning. With a manual, new o-rings and print out of the carb cleaning series it shouldn't be a problem. Plus you have us Suzuki bums! \\/
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, I've got the BS Carbs. No intake o-rings AFAIK.

Yeah, I've seen the pictorial for the carb disassembly, and I went and bought the necessary supplies. (Gallon carb dip system, carb jet spray)

Just **** scared to F up my never-yet-ridden bike. lol

Comment

To get it running tops, you're going to need to do a bench synch before you reinstall the carbs and a carb synch after. To do the "after" synch requires a manometer (also called carb synchronizers, carb sticks or vacuum gauges). They're easy to use but they run $40+. And you need to adjust your valves and eliminate any air leaks prior to synchronizing.

It isn't as difficult as it sounds, more time consuming than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pickardracing View Post
                    Well, like I say, it's not the disassembly that worries me, its the re-assembly, and then having no idea how to tune it back to spec.

Never touched a carb in my life.

Ill try that deep creep stuff, but getting this thing to 3'gs is a chore.
                    Did you change the plugs and clean the air filter and reoil it yet?That will make all the difference in the world!

Comment

Update:

Emptied float bowls on carbs, filled them back up with a 50-50 mix of gas and Yamaha Carb Cleaner solution, let sit overnight.

Emptied float bowls this morning, changed plugs, oil, and blew off air filter (looks new).

Hooked gas tank back up, started right up. Put it all back together and went for a ride. Was a little shaky at first but seemed to clear up after a few minutes. Kept dying at stops, so took it back home and adjusted the idle.

Mustve been way off because it took probably 20 revolutions in of the idle screw or more to even allow it to idle at 1100 RPM. Idles pretty smooth now, choke all the way off, sitting on the kickstand, and revs pretty clean all the way to redline.

Gonna run a few tanks of premium through it and decide at that point if I want to go through the carbs. It rides very nice at this point now, so I might just let it go til winter. Only a few months left of riding time anyway.

So, if you have carb troubles, you might just want to check that Yamaha Carb Cleaner out, it worked for me to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by pickardracing View Post
                        Update:

Emptied float bowls on carbs, filled them back up with a 50-50 mix of gas and Yamaha Carb Cleaner solution, let sit overnight.

Emptied float bowls this morning, changed plugs, oil, and blew off air filter (looks new).

Hooked gas tank back up, started right up. Put it all back together and went for a ride. Was a little shaky at first but seemed to clear up after a few minutes. Kept dying at stops, so took it back home and adjusted the idle.

Mustve been way off because it took probably 20 revolutions in of the idle screw or more to even allow it to idle at 1100 RPM. Idles pretty smooth now, choke all the way off, sitting on the kickstand, and revs pretty clean all the way to redline.

Gonna run a few tanks of premium through it and decide at that point if I want to go through the carbs. It rides very nice at this point now, so I might just let it go til winter. Only a few months left of riding time anyway.

So, if you have carb troubles, you might just want to check that Yamaha Carb Cleaner out, it worked for me to this point.
                        Just get some seafoam carb cleaner and put in the gas tank like it say's to on the can.It is great stuff and will do wonders since you have got it running good.Make sure you oil your air filter too.They have to be oiled to catch the crud that enters your airbox.You will be surprised what gets sucked in there.The trouble we have with these bikes is ya never know what the PO has done to it.Sounds like you found the problem!
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Just do it. We'll help you.
                          P.S. He doesn't have intake o-rings but intake hoses.
                          I assume you have the thread for carb cleaning. With a manual, new o-rings and print out of the carb cleaning series it shouldn't be a problem. Plus you have us Suzuki bums! \\/
                          You'd think I'd pick up on that, what with having the same motor and all. ;-)

Comment

Don't run premium gas, your compression ratio's too low for any significant gain and it will give you lousy mileage. Run some Chevron regular unleaded and some Seafoam and she'll purr like a kitten until it's time to roar like a tiger. It may smoke a bit, though, until the Seafoam's done it's trick.

I used to run premium in all my bikes, then switched to plus and discovered the bike had a little more pep. I was under the impression that higher grades of gas had better and more additives. It doesn't. The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane necessary to burn the fuel. These are low-compression bikes.

BTW, congrats on getting it running better!

Comment

How much Seafoam are we talking here?

It's only a 2 gallon tank, how much does one add?

Comment

Working...
                              X