Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunking sound in 1st and 2nd

help,
    i was driving home from work the other day and when I got off the highway and stopped at a stop sign everything seemed normal. Then as I started to pull out from there first gear started to clunk. it wasn't real loud more like i could feel it in my feet. then when i shifted to 2nd it was less, and from there on up in the gears it was quite and normal. I know very little about transmissions, any help would be very appreciated. I looked all around the bike for something external that was loose but nothing. so I assume that it is in the tranny. thanks
    mark

Change the engine oil and filter and report back.

Dink

Comment

Changing the oil does make a difference.If it's hot out it will also clunk a little louder than normal.

Comment

Also check your drive chain tension.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You change the engine oil to see if there is any CHUNKS:roll: also cut the filter in half to look for metal pieces in the pleats of the filter.

Comment

Working...
          X