Oil leak just when it is nice to ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak just when it is nice to ride

Now that spring is here I have an oil leak on my 1981 gs750L . I think it is the gaskets on the engine. I get oil on my pants and shoes. I would like to know how much is a shop going to nail me to replace the gaskets and will they want to do more while they are there. I am in the Omaha NE area so it will be a shop somewhere there. Thisis a budget bike and I can't spend much. Any Info would help me with my decision.
    Thanks Rick

Where is is coming from? One side? Both sides? Head gasket (below the spark plugs)? Valve cover gasket (above the spark plugs)? Cam plug (2 on each end of the head)? Tachometer drive (front of the valve cover, near the center, where the tach cable screws into the engine)?

Comment

oil leak

I first noticed from the front of the engine right between the exhaust pipes. There is a small flange with a bolt upside down in it holding the engine together. It was dripping from there. I cleaned it up and thought I had it figured out but know I see oil on the right inside plug wire . I suppose it could be thrown up there by the wind. the more I look it just seems a gasket is leaking.

Comment

Sounds like you need to completely degrease the valve cover (actually a cam cover, but we'll use the old automotive term here), head, and cylinders, go for a ride for a couple of miles, remove the tank and find out exactly where its leaking from. A head gasket leaking is a lot more complicated to fix than a valve cover gasket. My 1100 also spit out quite a bit of oil when the tach drive seal wore out. (this seal is easy to replace, though). Have you tried to re-torque the head?

Comment

oil leak now that its nice

Yes its supposed to be nice tomorrow , I took the vetter fairing off so maybe I can see things better. I tightened all the bolts I could easily reach. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Comment

More than likely just the valve cover gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              More than likely just the valve cover gasket.
              I agree with Billy on this one, a leak at the front cam cover at the "small flange" (it is where the cam chain is) is one of the main spots that leaks start at.
              the cam cover gasket is pretty easy to change, you will need to go ahead and also change the cam end plugs, (half round rubber plugs at the ends of the cams) these dry up and start leaking also, it is best to change them while the cam cover is off, unfortunately they don't come with the cam cover gasket.

Comment

Working...
              X