Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery, Voltage reg, my oh my

Hey ladies and gents,
    you all have taken me far in reparing my GS1000GL. As the title implies, I have replaced the battery and voltage reg and still the battery will not hold a charge.

I'm ordering a stator today because all my multi-meter readings point to this based on the awesome help post I received from http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

I'm jumping the gun a bit here but I'm wondering what if:

What if after replacing the stator the battery still wont hold a charge [-o<

Let's hope it doesn't come to this but I'm just thinking ahead a bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Chuck

You need to unplug each and every electrical connection on the bike, clean and tighten them up and reconnect them. You should also run the ground wire from the RR directly to the negative post on the battery. You should also remove all ground straps, clean and reinstall them, you should also run a ground strap from battery negative to motor and or frame. Then redo all the tests and see if the answers are the same.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. lapantz,

I just wanted to say, let it be known that on this day you are formally welcomed to the GSR Forums as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" usually implies pictures.

Thanks for joining us and I'm glad to see you are getting help from all the experts in this forum. They're a great bunch and have been teaching me to be a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Thanks Bob for the advice and Bass for the nice welecome \\/

Bob, I'll get started with disconnecting, checking and cleaning the things you metioned while I'm waiting for the new stator to get in. Goog thing I have nothing but time and money on my hands, :---) <--now that's a funny smiley.

Seriously guys, thanks!

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by lapantz View Post
          Thanks Bob for the advice and Bass for the nice welecome \\/

Bob, I'll get started with disconnecting, checking and cleaning the things you metioned while I'm waiting for the new stator to get in. Goog thing I have nothing but time and money on my hands, :---) <--now that's a funny smiley.

Seriously guys, thanks!

Chuck

You won't be sorry, it's the first thing I do before anything else, that way as I check things out I know the connections are not at fault. Remember 25 years of weather will corode about anything.

Comment

Good advice to check and double check integrity of all connections, especially grounds.
            Open circuit testing of the Stator can yield deceptively good readings while the stator may actually be toast. Such was the case with my stator pictured below:

Comment

Man that's bad considering it should be yellow caramel colored. Idling an air cooled engine will do that over time.

Comment

Originally posted by lapantz View Post
                Hey ladies and gents,
                you all have taken me far in reparing my GS1000GL. As the title implies, I have replaced the battery and voltage reg and still the battery will not hold a charge.

I'm ordering a stator today because all my multi-meter readings point to this based on the awesome help post I received from http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

I'm jumping the gun a bit here but I'm wondering what if:

What if after replacing the stator the battery still wont hold a charge [-o<

Let's hope it doesn't come to this but I'm just thinking ahead a bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
                Chuck

I am having similar problems. I have also replaced the R/R and it will not charge. Where did you get the stator? Have you checked all your conections yet. What did you find out?

thanks, paul

Comment

Have you taken a close look at your battery? I had a battery that was less than one year old, and it would not hold a charge long enough to start the bike more than one time, even after being on the battery charger over night. Be sure the electrolite level is high enough. After charging the battery over night, check the specific gravity in each cell, unless you have a sealed battery. Then you cannot check it. If you can get ahold of a load tester, try that next to see if it holds a charge for a reasonable period of time. If it falls flat, then the battery is bad. The battery should not go down on its own unless it is bad, or like suggested above, something is drawing a current with the switch off. Another test you can do is to remove the negative terminal from the battery, and install an amp meter between the battery and ground. With the switch off, see if there is any current draw off the battery. If there is, you must have a bad switch or a short some place.

Greg O

Comment

The battery is new. I rode the bike the other day and after charging all night it read 12.9v. After riding it, it still said 12.9. It shows no increase in voltage when you rev. to 4000 rpm? I also has a new r/r.

Comment

Working...
                    X