Brake lines ets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lines ets.

I am almost done with my restoration of my 83 GS750ES and it looks great! but the brake lines which appear to be in good shape have springy things around them that are quite rusty. My question is do these serve a function? can I cut them off and have the lines function normally? I cant seem to get them off over the banjos to replace them, and I dont have the funds to replace all of the brake lines on the bike.

They are there to keep the lines from pinching.

Comment

BTW, the lines are probably old enough that they will keep their shape without the springs.

Comment

It's up to you, but I wouldn't fool around with 20 year old flexible brake lines. You can't reliably tell but sight and feel if they are ready to go, and age is not the friend of rubber components. Problem is, a bad brake hose is most likely to fail exactly when you need it the most--during panic braking. Reason is when you panic brake you are going to reach peak line pressures higher than that you generate during normal stops. I say beg, borrow or steal the money to upgrade. It is your life at stake.

Step up to some Russell or Goodridge stainless braided lines. You'll feel a noticeable improvement in brake feel and performance. At least I did.

To answer your question directly, I would not remove them. Billy is right. My understanding of their function is that they prevent the line from kinking under extreme flex by forcing the line to maintain a minimum radius in the bend. Kinks and old lines are not a good combination.

Comment

Email Craig Fouts at, buy@industrialliquidators.com, he will make any length you need with whatever angle fittings you want at reasonable prices. You can get by with one less line by converting to dual lines coming off the master cylinder. That would mean two for the calipers and two for the anti-dive. I've probably got a dual banjo bolt laying around somewhere you can have if you were to do that.

Comment

Do you gain/lose anything when converting to dual lines from the master cylinder, other then an extra line? Also, how much does the Anti-dive thing do? I've seen the article on removing it in the GS Garage, but was wondering about different opinions on it. Removing it would mean I could swap dual banjo bolts from the caliper to the master cylinder, and get a total of 3 less lines. That at least makes the wallet happy, but would drasticlly change the way it handled under braking?

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
              but would drasticlly change the way it handled under braking?
              Think this is about like the "whats the best oil questions". Many varied reponses.
              But heres my .02 worth.
              From what I understand it won't make that much difference unless you're doing some severe/highspeed/twisty riding. Which I really don't (much as I'd like think how macho I am).
              So I kept them, because they're just cool looking 8) .

Comment

Working...
              X