Electronic Tachometer on older GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Tachometer on older GS

I tried to search for this .. didn't come up with much.

I have a 1983 GS750ES instrument cluster (actually the entire front end) that I would like to fit to my 1981 GS750E.

1981 = cable driven tach
    1983 = electronic tach

Anyone have experience and or advice on this ?

Thanks
    Mike

I imagine the electronic tach just takes a signal from the ignition. Probably tie into the orange wire on the backside of the coils? Just a guess.

Comment

Hope it is that simple.

I didn't know it was electronic until just before I left the work session today.

I do have a manual for the '83 so hopefully I can figure it out.

I will also have to come up with a plug / cap for the cable tach drive opening on the top of the engine.

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      I imagine the electronic tach just takes a signal from the ignition. Probably tie into the orange wire on the backside of the coils? Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
        I will also have to come up with a plug / cap for the cable tach drive opening on the top of the engine.
        82 1100's 16 valves had exactly the cap you are after.

Dink

Comment

You sure about that Dink? My 83 1100 16-valve has a cable driven tach still.

~Adam

Comment

Well I anm sure about 82-83-84 Katana 1100's

Dink

Comment

The tach does indeed get it's signal from the wires to one of the coils - which doesn't matter. You just need to tap off of those lines and run leads to the tach.

Comment

Thanks Mark and Dink ..

I will post back as I get it done.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
                  The tach does indeed get it's signal from the wires to one of the coils - which doesn't matter. You just need to tap off of those lines and run leads to the tach.
                  While it does not matter which coil you use, you do have to connect to the correct wire on the coil.

Can't give you a color to match, but one terminal will be 'hot' with the key turned on. You want the other terminal.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X