Directional Issue :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional Issue :(

OK So I was running through my bike after changing some plugs and the turn signals no longer work. None of them blink and the indicator light doesnt flash. The fuse is fine. Any one have any ideas on what this might be and where to start looking????????/

turn on the directional and flick the turn signal relay and see if it comes to life at all. i think if the problem is at the relay the signal's circuit would be left off, like yours is. you can even take the cover off and move the little relay actuator by hand

were you in the headlight bucket for any reason? i'd check in there for something disconnected. the wiring from the bucket is pretty straight forward and you can follow it along the frame looking for clues

Comment

Originally posted by catfishk View Post
      turn on the directional and flick the turn signal relay and see if it comes to life at all. i think if the problem is at the relay the signal's circuit would be left off, like yours is. you can even take the cover off and move the little relay actuator by hand

were you in the headlight bucket for any reason? i'd check in there for something disconnected. the wiring from the bucket is pretty straight forward and you can follow it along the frame looking for clues

Yea, I checked all the connections under the gas tank and in the headlight bowl. CRAP. I was worried it was either the switch or the relay. But if the relay is shot does that also cause the indicator light to not blink? Is the relay something that can be cleaned or fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
        Yea, I checked all the connections under the gas tank and in the headlight bowl. CRAP. I was worried it was either the switch or the relay. But if the relay is shot does that also cause the indicator light to not blink? YES! Is the relay something that can be cleaned or fixed?
        Replace the relay if that's the problem (they're not that expensive). It's the same kind of relay that operates the turn signals in your car, you can even buy one from Napa if they match up the numbers on the one from your bike. Another thing that will prevent the lights from flashing will be a bad ground on one or more of the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Replace the relay if that's the problem (they're not that expensive). It's the same kind of relay that operates the turn signals in your car, you can even buy one from Napa if they match up the numbers on the one from your bike. Another thing that will prevent the lights from flashing will be a bad ground on one or more of the lights.
          Hmm but wouldnt the turn indicator light still flash? I am trying to find the turn signal relay so I can pull it off. I found the "UNIT,TURN SIG C" (24) but I am still looking for the turn signal relay (23) on the bike lol.

What is the unit turn sig c for anyway?

Comment

The turn sig relay (flasher) should be on the right hand side under the side cover (on mine it's the back relay with a three blade plug). If the relay (flasher) fails, the lights will stay on and not flash.
            Now, then, mine did that, and I discovered that if only two legs of the flasher (front and middle), were plugged in, my turn signals worked again. Anyway, that's how mine are working, I also removed a piece of crap tailight electronic something or other when I set up my Honda GoldWing headlight/horn/turnsignal switch, now all my lights work properly and my charging system does too.........:-D

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the GS850's have self-canceling turn signals. One of these boxes in the diagram you posted would be that self-canceling unit, the other one is the flasher unit, also called a relay by some. They are cheap to replace. Other things that can stop your signals from flashing would be a bad ground as already mentioned and also using the incorrect bulbs in your signals. The bulbs must have the correct impedance/resistance in order to get the old style flasher to work. The flasher can be replaced with a newer one that doesn't care what type of bulbs are used. If you wanted to use LED bulbs you would have to upgrade the flasher unit.

Comment

The automatic cancel feature can be removed from the turn signal equation with no dire consequences. All you have to do is disconnect the wires.
                The electronic tailight coupler gizmo (If you've got one) can be cut out of the system, mine was a "tailight coupler" to link the turn signals to the brake lights for better visibility.

Anyway, it can be fixed with very little money involved, just trace the wiring (yeah, sounds easy right???????:-D)

Comment

Working...
                X