Taken for a ride...Unfortunately not on my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken for a ride...Unfortunately not on my bike

Newbie here, learning...but can turn a wrench. Long story long. 1982 GS 650G -All Stock- inherited from Dad, low miles, ran great, put in shed for 4 years without prepping for storage. With new battery, clean plugs, oil change, and cleaning, it fired right up, but only with full choke. Touching throttle would kill it. A bike "mechanic" would clean the carbs for 160$, flush the tank, clean plugs, fix a leaky tire, all but wash my windows...sounds like a great deal huh? 6 weeks later !!! after Many, many excuses from this bum,I got frustrated and picked the bike up myself in my little p/u truck. The carbs were completely removed and he said " He cleaned the carbs (spiderwebs between carbs would beg to differ), cleaned plugs (he did not), flushed and prepped tank (doubt it)" It ran like a champ he said, but there was a gas leak on my "fuel rail" around the 2 plastic T vacuum nipples between #1-2 and 3-4. I took the rails off, separated the carbs (this was easy, not as hard as he said it would be) and examined everything, it all looked VERY good. I recleaned everything I could reach with Qtips and carb cleaner and reattached the carbs to the bike. ( This was a dog, with the rubber boots involved, but successful after 2 hours and bruised nuckles). Now, the bike will not start, not even a bite. All hoses are good and installed correctly, everything is tight, fuel flows with "PRI" on petcock, but NADA !! I CAN get it to turn over and run a few seconds tho by capping 1 vacuum vent hose and BLOWING into the other, but it stalls out after a few seconds, and fuel come out of the airbox vent tube. I'm a poor, working schlub that just wants his dads bike back for some weekend rides with my wife, but I'm at wits end. Frustrated with this shadetree mechanic sticking me, and know that I can get some help from you guys and gals on here. Sorry for the long post and rant, but any advice will help.

Thanks,
    David.

Originally posted by DSM8 View Post
    Newbie here, learning...but can turn a wrench. Long story long. 1982 GS 650G -All Stock- inherited from Dad, low miles, ran great, put in shed for 4 years without prepping for storage. With new battery, clean plugs, oil change, and cleaning, it fired right up, but only with full choke. Touching throttle would kill it. A bike "mechanic" would clean the carbs for 160$, flush the tank, clean plugs, fix a leaky tire, all but wash my windows...sounds like a great deal huh? 6 weeks later !!! after Many, many excuses from this bum,I got frustrated and picked the bike up myself in my little p/u truck. The carbs were completely removed and he said " He cleaned the carbs (spiderwebs between carbs would beg to differ), cleaned plugs (he did not), flushed and prepped tank (doubt it)" It ran like a champ he said, but there was a gas leak on my "fuel rail" around the 2 plastic T vacuum nipples between #1-2 and 3-4. I took the rails off, separated the carbs (this was easy, not as hard as he said it would be) and examined everything, it all looked VERY good. I recleaned everything I could reach with Qtips and carb cleaner and reattached the carbs to the bike. ( This was a dog, with the rubber boots involved, but successful after 2 hours and bruised nuckles). Now, the bike will not start, not even a bite. All hoses are good and installed correctly, everything is tight, fuel flows with "PRI" on petcock, but NADA !! I CAN get it to turn over and run a few seconds tho by capping 1 vacuum vent hose and BLOWING into the other, but it stalls out after a few seconds, and fuel come out of the airbox vent tube. I'm a poor, working schlub that just wants his dads bike back for some weekend rides with my wife, but I'm at wits end. Frustrated with this shadetree mechanic sticking me, and know that I can get some help from you guys and gals on here. Sorry for the long post and rant, but any advice will help.

Thanks,
    David.
    Pull the carbs again and re-dip them in carb cleaner taking care not to leave any rubber O rings in there. All the jets should be removed and the fuel/air transfer passages should be carefully prised clean with a soft wire ( gas welding tip cleaners are ok) and then blown clear with compressed air.
    Your mechanic probably hasn't done a thorough enough job in this area, hence the engine starving fuel once under throttle.
    I assume that you were running the stock airbox and that all seals were intact and sealing. These bikes are very prone to erratic running if their inlets, including the filter assembly, are not correctly sealed.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. DSM8,

Let it be known on this day that you have been formally welcomed to the GSR Forums as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Thanks for joining us.

If you've left your petcock on "PRI" (Prime) for very long, take care that gas hasn't leaked into the crankcase oil. Also, for bikes that have been sitting a while, The Carburetor Cleanup Series is must reading. Sometimes the petcocks themselves go bad. The rebuild kits have a reputation of not working so just buy a new one. I'll bet your bike could also use new carb boots and O-rings. Install new weatherstripping around the airbox covers on both sides. Also seal up the top of the air filter cage. Make sure you use a tiny bit of oil on your air filter or you'll run too rich and/or bog down.

Forgive me if I state the obvious. I'm just trying to be thorough. I'm sure some of the "gown-ups" here can offer you better advice. This is a great group that loves to help keep these classic bikes on the road.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Yet another mechanic horror story.
        Now, you need to go through the "check-list". You'll get there if you keep at it.
        See my advice in this post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=111791.
        There's plenty of other advice from others in other posts as well.

Comment

Working...
        X