Choke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke problem

On my 1982 GS650 the choke no longer stays in position. When I go to pull it for full choke it just slides back into the off position. I checked the cable and all seems fine. What should I check next? It is getting very annoying having to hold it open with my finger.

If it goes thru the steering stem ? Lift up the rubber boot & tighten the knurled nut- should help

Comment

no, it is on the left handle bar.

Comment

Mr. paintmann111,

Check for something on the handlebar choke that you can adjust (turn) to increase the friction on the cable. There may be some kind of lock nut. Then again, if the cable friction is provided by a piece of rubber then the 25 year old rubber may be a goner. Where's your manual?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

my manual is being lent to someone. Of course this has to happen when I don't have it!

Comment

Don't you just clean the assembly up real good and snug the screw that holds it together a little bit? Some people have lubed it for smoother operation which causes it to slip off the setting. No lube unless needed.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
              Don't you just clean the assembly up real good and snug the screw that holds it together a little bit? Some people have lubed it for smoother operation which causes it to slip off the setting. No lube unless needed.
              That's your anwser. Tighten up the screw that holds the lever on the assembly and you should be good to go.

Comment

The answer might be here

Mr. paintman111,

Is the answer to your choke issue in this thread? Let's give a big gob of thanks to Mr. Thehotbeast for sharing his solution!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X