Oil Leak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak Question

Hey folks. Question about an oil leak on my 79 GS850. I've always had a small leak from the valve covers, but wasn't enough to really be a bother.

Last fall I went through my carbs, replaced o-rings, intake boots, fuel lines, etc. Took it to a local shop for a tune-up and to get the carbs synched. While they had it, I asked them to change the oil and filter.

So I got it back from the shop and it runs great. But now I have a BAD oil leak (about a drip a second) from the front of the engine, (can't tell if its the valve cover or a head gasket) and it. I bought a RealGasket to put on the valve cover and I'm hoping that will fix it.

I noticed that the oil level was out of sight high in the window, so it looks like they overfilled it.

So my question is: Would overfilling the oil cause a small leak to become worse, or potentially create a new leak? Would it possibly cause the head gasket to leak oil? (I'm hoping it's just the valve cover gasket)

Thanks for your help.

where in the front?

When replacing my oil filter I also replaced the little gasket seal that goes behind the cover. Took me 2 tries to get it on without it leaking oil when running. Seems to have a tendency to drop outta its groove when you're putting it back on.

Also, its possible that the 2 bottom acorn nuts aren't tight. Its a fine line between 'tight enough' and 'too tight'. Too tight strips the post bolts (ask me how I know!).

I'd put something underneath to catch the oil that will come out, remove the acorn nuts, make sure you use your other hand to hold the cover in place because its spring loaded.

peel the gasket off, wipe/wash the groove clean, reinsert the gasket and put it all back on again.

That may solve your problem. Changing the oil is pretty easy on these (fron a guy who takes his car to walmart for an oil change) and a good way start wrenching.

You'll need a jug of 10w40 to top up once you've got the filter cover back on.

Comment

too much oil...

I think will cause your oil to leak worse...too much oil I would think leads to too much oil pressure. It has to blow out somewhere. Drain some of that out and smell it, make sure its not leaking fuel that has overfilled the oil reseviour.

Comment

You need to determine where the leak is coming from. Spray cleaner like Gunk works good. Simple Green is also popular but not as strong. Clean, dry, and watch the area closely with the engine running to find the leak source. One member here recommended using athletes foot spray (has white talc in it) to help highlight the leak area.

Leaking oil filter housing covers are very common since Suzuki doesn’t provide a new o-ring with the filter. Valve covers also tend to leak as you know. The real gasket doesn’t seal better per say its just reusable.

Regarding overfilled oil causing leaks, I don’t think it should matter much unless it is way overfilled.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just to clarify, the oil leak is definitely coming from the top of the motor, drips down on #3 cylinder. sounds like bacon frying and wraps me in a blanket of smoke at the stoplights.

I'll try the degreasing, talc approach to see if I can pinpoint it.

If the leak is from the headgasket, is there a chance that re-torquing the heads would stop it?

Thanks.

Comment

Leaks

Hi Mr. dcollins,

When you replace gaskets make sure both surfaces are clean. Real Gaskets do not need gasket sealer but should be torqued properly.

Are you sure it's the valve cover gasket and not the tachometer cable seal where it attaches to the top of your motor? When my tach cable was leaking, it wicked down on the motor and dripped on the #3 pipe. Like Mr. Nessism suggested, let's determine exactly where it's leaking. I think extreme overfilling of your crankcase can contribute to leaks, even in our low pressure systems.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassClif

Comment

Originally posted by dcollins View Post
              Just to clarify, the oil leak is definitely coming from the top of the motor, drips down on #3 cylinder. sounds like bacon frying and wraps me in a blanket of smoke at the stoplights.

I'll try the degreasing, talc approach to see if I can pinpoint it.

If the leak is from the headgasket, is there a chance that re-torquing the heads would stop it?

Thanks.
              If the drip is hitting the exhaust from above it's not the head gasket, maybe the valve cover. Overfilling will cause a small leak to get worse from the added crankcase pressure.

Comment

Hi There.I had same problem with an oil leak at the valve cover in the front cylinder 3.I just buy a new gasket,remove the cover clean it ,glued the gasket with clear silicone,torque everything back .No leaks since then.Hopefully that will help you.

Comment

Could be the tach cable seals:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have to disagree with SALUBONHOMME regarding the use of silicone. I used it one time on a new gasket, and when I torqued the bolts the silicone caused the gasket to slip out of place, then I had an oil leak. I bought a new gasket, and installed it without any gasket sealer of any kind, and 2 years still no leaks. I need to adjust the valves this winter, so will install a new gasket.

I also have a tip on replacing the o ring on the oil filter cover. Use a little grease to hold the o ring in place. It is hard to get it to stay in place otherwise, and I have had it slip out of position, but if I use grease, it stays put.

Greg O.

Comment

Working...
                    X